Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone attend Seni 2002 today (27th April).

Overall, I was disappointed with the poor demonstrations, which really gave a bad impression of Kuk Sul Won and TKD.

Could someone please tell me why that in the KSW demostrations ALL the attackers attacked with a very weak kick to the groin. This kick was blocked with the same move every time - and I mean EVERY TIME.

I'd just like to say that I hold no grudges against Korean MA, I just wonder why the organisers couldn't put on a better demonstration!!!!!!!

This question is probably rhetorical, but I dont care - I like a rant. LOL

Cya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely need to stop by a real dojang and see what Kuk Sool Won is all about. My friend Will (2nd dan) and his brother (1st dan) did an awesome demonstration at a tournament this weekend that would likely have impressed you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I think I do.........I hate in when peopel put on poor demonstrations - it really makes spectators think that the art is rubbish.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. You'd hope people putting on demonstrations would keep in mind that they're representing the art to the public and to other martial artists. What belts were these guys/gals? Black belts, or color belts?

I keep thinking of the demonstration Will did, part of which demonstrated defense against a knife attack. "Drop the knife, drop the knife!"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to go this year but couldn't make it due to other commitments.

I went last year tho and was really impressed with the demo's, Espessially the Kwon team and the United Professionals desplay teams!!

What was wrong with the TKD demo? I must admit there were some poor ones last year!

Bretty

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was told by the people that I went with that it wasn't as good as last year.

The KSW demo started very well, with a lot of people performing kata synchronised. I was thinking - "WOW, I really like this"

Then some pulled out a pair of short sticks (kinda like the size oh chinzo-bo [or whatever you call them]) and started twirling them about........thats when it started.......

I saw hardly any effective attacks (and this was kata!!!), instead seeing pretty twirls.

Then came semi-free pre-arranged sparring - with the only attack being a very weak kick. The counters were weak, and it was a case of the counters not making contact (with no focus), but the opponents jumping and flying to the ground!!!!!

All the KSW people wore shiny black and silver belts (I think), but the master had a red stripe in there (I think).

The TKD demo was kinda like a very bad Ashley Beck/KWON demo - lots of breaking (very poor breaking, but breaking never impressed me anyway).

There was an 'interesting' staff demonstration - this TKD guy just swung it around, really flash, but there was no power or focus, kinda like what I see at a lot of weapons competitions.

Once again, I hold no grudges against ANY martial arts, I just dont like bad demonstrations.

Cya

Tobias

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All the KSW people wore shiny black and silver belts (I think), but the master had a red stripe in there (I think).

These would be the general's uniforms, which I think are one of the coolest things about the art. The belt is still black, but for 1st-3rd dan, there is silver trim on the uniform, for 4th dan it is silver with a red stripe, for 5th and 6th dan (master) it is red, 7th and 8th dan has red and gold, and only Kuk Sa Nim and In Joo Suh (his son and highest ranking practicing master) are authorized to wear gold trim.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias:
Too bad the KSW demo didn't appeal to you. Watching the masters is usually the final show and usually the most entertaining, for obvious reasons. Sounds like you watched the group forms with a some people using sticks for added show. These really aren't offensive attack forms. They combine many different moves within the KSW system in order to understand how one might use the basic fundementals as a whole (block, punch, kick, counter-block). It's not that different than any other MA system. The pre-arranged sparring was just a individual demonstration of what self defense techiniques they like to use. The flying attacker is just to impress the judges.

One thing to remember about KSW is that it is based on fast hands, soft feet, clear mind, sharp eyes, all in circular based moves to control the opponent. It is not intended to be a smash mouth art. Don't get me wrong, we can fight with the best of them, otherwise KSW wouldn't be recognized as an official governing body of Korean MA. Beyond the fighting techniques there is the physical well being concepts of KSW, which is equally important according to the grandmaster. I hope you this clears up any questions you had.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZR440

Yes, thanks for the info.

Once again I would like to stress that I respect ALL arts, and do not hold any bad thoughts about ANY of them.

I have been offended many a time when there has been a bad Shotokan or Kobudo demostration

Cheers for your help - oh, but the master broke a board with a nukite, which I thought was cool

Cya

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a KSW master? Do you happen to remember his name?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: