Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Melau
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Melau wrote:
I'd say work to the best of your abilities, but keep on pushing and testing yourself.

Guy at my Dojo went for kumite tournaments quite recently, he's 62 years of age now. Yes he has injuries, had shoulder operations recently, you know, the things that come with age. But he enjoys tremendous respect for just fighting with the younger guys and testing himself.
Sorry Melau: I am in my 60's that has to take it easy on the younger guys and not the other way around.

As it should be. Be the inspiration for the younger generation!

Gichin Funakoshi

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 51 my husband cannot kick above knee height so he keeps his kicks to no contact but focuses on joints, cross stomps etc. At 42 I can barley kick (depending on the person's height) so I usually try to get some shots in when my opponent is kicking. My favorite it to force them against the wall and get in so they can't kick ....... or I drop them (if I can)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melau wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Melau wrote:
I'd say work to the best of your abilities, but keep on pushing and testing yourself.

Guy at my Dojo went for kumite tournaments quite recently, he's 62 years of age now. Yes he has injuries, had shoulder operations recently, you know, the things that come with age. But he enjoys tremendous respect for just fighting with the younger guys and testing himself.
Sorry Melau: I am in my 60's that has to take it easy on the younger guys and not the other way around.

As it should be. Be the inspiration for the younger generation!

Having a good understanding of distance for seniors than the younger maist, to my mind, is a big contributing factor as to how the older generation keeps them young ones confidently under control.

As being older means not as strong and not as fast as the younger person, therefore under estimated oldies are considerably at a disadvantage through the eyes of the young.

Perhaps neglecting to realise that seniors being kicked around the block on more than one occasion has definitely helped to toughen a person over the years.

As senior maists are not living in a comfort zone on the contrary this is what keeps them going and staying youthful by continuing with being able to use their experience against those that have not fully developed theirs as yet confidently.

As a senior will use strategies and strategic stepping to be in an advantage position whilst the younger inexperienced opponent just moves around not knowing what is going to happen next.

Aa a senior maist has taken all of the guess work out and has replaced it with time tested experience, something which can help younger maists to become more successful than they could ever do by going it alone.

Cahill
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just tuned into this message board. Not been here for years.

I actually just train. I don't give much thought to age and would be disappointed if my fellow club members made special allowances for my age ( 65), the day may come when I do have need of special consideration and I'll accept it gladly.

I'm a Shukokai Shitoryu Dan grade but have gone back to basics last October 2018 to start Goju Ryu.

I've never been flexible, so started from, literally, a low base, so not particularly noticed any decline.

I do lots and lots of supplementary training weekly including Grit x 30mins which is an extremely arduous cardio work out, circuit training x 60 mins, also variously some weights, kettlebell and " running" ( becoming a problem).

I do two GoJu sessions weekly, 2 hours and 1 hour

I am starting to feel really heavy legged, not sure whether it's age or i'm overtraining ?
I've decided to pull back on the " leg" stuff ( other than karate) and see if my performance improves.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Cahill
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add. Last fought in a tournament, traditional karate, when I was 50 and lost in the final.

I've continually trained since I was 19, excepting 12 months when I was without a club but still kept up a vigorous training regime.

I've continually changed clubs and styles, a mistake on reflection,and gone decades without grading.

I've never had a massive ego and happy to be helped and learn from everybody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: