Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Sensory Deprivation Combative Training... I'm telling Mom! Reply with quote

"I told my mom on you, Uncle Bill."

Puzzled look. "For what?"

"For making me stare at a light bulb, then go into a dark room with loud music where someone is trying to stab me."

"Oh, you mean Thursday. Try to get a strobe light for next time, and I'll scream profanities from the sidelines."

Is this normal?

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, thought you should know that my duty light has a strobe feature. Will play here in a couple of weeks.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can really be helpful training. And, sad to say, I probably don't do it enough. The factor that light can play in various venues is substantial.

Cudos for taking it on.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 sided die were used as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
12 sided die were used as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

Next time use a 20 sided die... if you roll a natural 20, kick him in the balls.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
This can really be helpful training. And, sad to say, I probably don't do it enough. The factor that light can play in various venues is substantial.

Cudos for taking it on.

The good news is that someone like you will probably never find himself in a dark place with unknown attackers and weapons with flashing colored lights.

SifuGazz
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyichuan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very helpful training. It can also help stimulate the adrenal dump, which is vital to good combat training. Being disoriented is very possible. Using tactile sensitivity drills to build applications on is helpful in dark situations.

Loud music, strobe lights, profanity, not knowing if a person will jump around a dark corner, all good stuff. Also good to practice this material after some degree of sleep deprivation.

G

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your goals and who you are training.

Military and police types...YES this is great training.....

children and little old ladies/men...probably not so much!

However, I am starting to realize that the states is a very strange and dangerous place to live, kind of a different hidden side from when us visitors come down and go site seeing and stay in our secure hotels ext and so on....so maybe the kids and little old ladies should be trained like this.

My ideas of training and survival training are changing over time, I was a military officer for a while way back and I thought that training with guns and with set ups like "hot kill zone training" was and should be just for police and military...now I am starting to think even here in Canada, were the gun man will hold the door for you before kidnapping you, we should all be training for hard core bad situations more and more!

......Sad really!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensei wrote:
I think it depends on your goals and who you are training.

Military and police types...YES this is great training.....

children and little old ladies/men...probably not so much!

However, I am starting to realize that the states is a very strange and dangerous place to live, kind of a different hidden side from when us visitors come down and go site seeing and stay in our secure hotels ext and so on....so maybe the kids and little old ladies should be trained like this.

My ideas of training and survival training are changing over time, I was a military officer for a while way back and I thought that training with guns and with set ups like "hot kill zone training" was and should be just for police and military...now I am starting to think even here in Canada, were the gun man will hold the door for you before kidnapping you, we should all be training for hard core bad situations more and more!

......Sad really!

I think good people should train for the worst, and bad people should not be trained. Personally, I don't want to have to wait on the police to show up to clean up the mess. By the time they get there, a situation is usually settled, or wasn't going to turn into anything anyway.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
I think good people should train for the worst, and bad people should not be trained. Personally, I don't want to have to wait on the police to show up to clean up the mess. By the time they get there, a situation is usually settled, or wasn't going to turn into anything anyway.

Very true, and wise words. In Canada we lack a control pin however, we are not allowed to retian fire arms, and in someways it was working so darn well for us, we did not have guns, the thugs did not have guns, only a hand full fo bad guys had guns, they were a BIG DEAL up here. If you had a gun you were NUTS and probably one of the most dangerous types around.

Now every thug with $1000 they stole from some one can get a gun smuggled up from the states, and I am only talking about hand guns and auto's. Its gotten bad in big cities, not to bad here but still getting bad. Now all the young thugs that grew up watching american gun movies are thinking they need to pack heat...its getting bad.

I used to teach my students to defend themselves by striking once and running...Now I say "Kill the guy or he may kill you" my favorite saying is "Better judged by 12 than carried by 6". This is a mild exageration mind you...but its how I am starting to really feel!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: