Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Shaolin round kick? Reply with quote

This might be a trivial question but I'm curious and haven't been able to find much.

Is anyone familiar with Shaolin round kicks? I kind of know how the Tae Kwon Do and the traditional karate guys practice their round kicks, is the Shaolin kick similar to one of these?

As I said, kind of trivial but I'm going through a round kick phase right now. This means I've been practicing, researching, trying to improve on little details, and have been generally interested in learning more.

Thanks.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaolin round kicks are more or less the same as any other round house kick.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've been able to find, it's pretty much the same as most karate kicks. I'm personally a fan of the thai kick.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that the basis is the same.
It is named a little different - some styles may put their own 'twist' on it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orientation of the supportive foot sure does vary from style to style, and I've seen in Shaolin where it's either at a 45 degree angle or close to 180 degree, but rarely do I see a full 180 degree rotation. In Shindokan, we believe that any roundhouse kick, for example, must have a full 180 degree rotation of the supportive foot to open the hips up more as well as to amplify the apex of the power curve.

That's why I believe that for the most part, the supportive foots orientation is a preference of the practitioner and not always of the styles methodology and ideology.

It's not fair, but my Sensei says that those that don't fully orientate the supportive foot when necessary are just...well...excuse him..."lazy people"!! I don't agree with his labeling, but I agree with what he's trying to teach..."If you're not going to rotate fully and completely, don't kick, ever; it's wasted!!" Adequate stretching aides that full rotation, but that's just one of the many elements.

Same with the Shaolin roundhouse...but there might be different ethos between the many Shaolin styles.

And I've not even mentioned about the kicking foots orientation; that's for another thread, in which we've delved in from time to time here at KF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: