Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Share your funny stories! Reply with quote

So...this may not apply to everyone (due to your time in the martial arts, etc.). But I thought it might be interesting for folks to share (or comment!) on some funny stories that they have from the martial arts training. After almost 50 years, I have got a literal TON of them.

So, I'll start it off...let's see if anyone is interested.

So, way back in the day, I studied Shotokan (ended up with a Yondan and Renshi license before I moved on). It was through the old KAH or Karate Association of Hawaii that was, at the time, run by Kenneth Funakoshi. Anyway, this was probably around 1980 or so (yes, I am OLD). Our dojo was small and ROUGH...and I do mean ROUGH (ever been put through a window with a side thrust kick? LOL!). We were very small and trained in an old house converted to a dojo. One night as we were wrapping up our last class of the night (advanced class), a young fellow came into the dojo and he was carrying a pair of "Bruce Lee num-chucks".

I all them "Bruce Lee num-chucks" as they were the bright yellow with black stripes (and attached by a chain) that were made to look like the pair Bruce Lee used in Game of Death. And "num-chucks" is how the kid pronounced it (and when I said kid, he was like 20 or 22).

Anyway, after we bowed out, this young man was invited to come onto the floor and several of us were talking to him. After having been involved in a couple of dojo storming sessions (yes, that really did happen back in the day), we were a little curious as to how this was going to play out. The young man was interested in lessons and specifically wanted to learn more about using "num-chucks" as he was self taught and needed to learn more. The young man proceeded to show us all of the fancy moves he had taught himself (and, to his credit, he was quite flashy). So Don (who owned and ran the dojo) unhooked the 70 pound heavy bag we had and said, "Can you show me your technique using the bag?". So, the young man stepped back and launched into a flurry of techniques. You know the stuff...bouncing them off of the back of your arm and catching them under you arm, side swings that were couple with rolling them across you hand, etc. All of the stuff you see in the Bruce Lee movies and other B rated stuff.

Anyway, he finally issues a KIAI and hit the bag with a swing of the num-chucks with all of the power he had. Now, many of you probably know where this is going. Unfortunately for him, he didn't....and had never used his num-chucks to hit anything other than air. The num-chucks hit the back and then recoiled right back at him and hit him in the head. Then he hit the ground and it took him about 5 minutes before he knew what his name was.

Everyone was nice and no one outwardly laughed at him (at the time), etc. Don ended up telling him that weapons were not generally a part of what was usually taught as an official part of the Shotokan curriculum but many of us trained with a variety of different weapons and he was welcome to join the school.

Needless to say, after the young man said he would think about it, we never saw him or heard from him again.

After reading this story, I don't know if it will come off as funny as it actually was.

Anyway, if others jump in and share I have more...

Thanks!

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a funny story, saw it coming but still enjoyed reading it.

Trying to think of any stories myself but struggling! Only thing I can think of recently was after doing seiza in class I told the students to sit comfortably, my assistant does this thing where he jumps up from seiza position and lands on his bum in a seated position... but this time he misjudged it, rotated a bit too much when his bum hit the floor it let out a loud squeaky fart! you kinda had to be there but it caused a lot of laughter and he looked a little embarrassed! Hard to express how funny it was with the timing, like I said kinda needed to be there.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one that has always stuck in my mind (more because the guy was a little mental tbh).

This was years ago (and when i was part of a uni club) and a guy appeared at training one night with nunchuku (similar to the story above) and a little bit strange. He stuck around for a bit though and tried to learn.

Two things he did always came to mind :

1) we were travelling to a tournament and he appeared with a 'carry out' (Scottish vernacular for a lot of alcohol in a carrier bag) and when we all asked him in a shocked fashion what did he think he was doing he casually responded it was fine, he had brought a beer for the Grandmaster too!

2) He suddenly vanished one day and i then saw him a couple of weeks later on crutches. I asked him what happened and he said he had been out for a training run and came across a 20ft or so wire fence. He then decided to climb it and when he got to the top he just let go and dropped to the floor. To quote him direclty he did it because "i felt invincible". He shattered both of his legs, breaking them in multiple places, and was on crutches for ages (though he eventually didn't need them anymore and recovered)

He has always stuck in my head as one of the crazier people i ever met in the martial arts!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great funny stories so far. Please keep them coming.

In all of the decades that I've been on the floor, I've had some great memories, both funny and not-so funny; my wife says I could write a book about all of them. What is she trying to say, I often wonder?!?

Here's one that I shared here at KF many years ago. I hope you enjoy it...

https://www.karateforums.com/slate-is-for-the-roof-only-vt36201.html?highlight=slate

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
1) we were travelling to a tournament and he appeared with a 'carry out' (Scottish vernacular for a lot of alcohol in a carrier bag) and when we all asked him in a shocked fashion what did he think he was doing he casually responded it was fine, he had brought a beer for the Grandmaster too!

Honestly, if I were in the GMs shoes then as long as he brought me some beer then it would, in fact, be fine.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:

Honestly, if I were in the GMs shoes then as long as he brought me some beer then it would, in fact, be fine.

Haha, yeah it would have been the same with me too, but this guy was mega old school - he had a lot of rules that must be followed (eg no stubble; suits immaculately ironed; short hair etc) so not the kind of guy who was likely to accept the beer!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our regional director (aka my CI's father) has a plethora of stories, some funny, some you just want to shake your head.

So apparently when my CI and his brothers were in Boy Scouts (when they still called it Boy Scouts), he got "voluntold" to do a karate demonstration at a jamboree. They apparently just wanted a breaking demonstration, and they even provided the boards, in the form of old barn wood.

Now at the time, he was a black belt (unsure of what degree, possibly 3rd?), but had never done a breaking demonstration before. So when he gets out there, he blasts through the board with a seiken-tsuki, and, just like he always practiced, pulled the hand right back -- through all of the slivers he just created, slicing up his forearms. Oops...

When he later spoke with his instructor, he was told basically "don't do that..."
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Last edited by aurik on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Great funny stories so far. Please keep them coming.

In all of the decades that I've been on the floor, I've had some great memories, both funny and not-so funny; my wife says I could write a book about all of them. What is she trying to say, I often wonder?!?

Here's one that I shared here at KF many years ago. I hope you enjoy it...

https://www.karateforums.com/slate-is-for-the-roof-only-vt36201.html?highlight=slate

Just read that - an excellent story (and i empathise with the sore hand).

I can totally relate to the putting on a brave face and trying to display no injury. I remember several years ago doing one myself where i was breaking a couple of suspended pine board only held at the top (so a speed break) with a ridge hand strike. Performed the technique and broke them. Looked perfect, i had done it and broken them cleanly enough that the top halves of the boards were still in the holders hands. Downside was a i had actually completely messed up and rather than hitting with the normal surface my wrist bone was slightly in front of my hand and i broke them with that. So i'm standing there with people saying how fantastic the technique was etc etc while my wrist is gradually swelling up more and more and going nice and purple! Thankfully no break but was an excellent bruise!

Breaking techniques can lead to some amusing stories!

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I wore white uniforms, before I learned to go easy on the bleach, I had a heavy canvas gi. As we began kicking in class one night, the crotch of my pants ripped at the gusset seam, front to back. It was pretty drafty after that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: