Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Sharing and comparing Reply with quote

Has anyone out there actively shared and compared techniques with advanced practitioners of closely related systems? Perhaps system that is the “parent” or antecessor of whatever you train in? Ex: Chinese crane systems with Okinawan goju ryu or uechi ryu

If you have, what was the most interesting part of the experience and how did it affect your understanding of your training?

While on Okinawa, the proximity with China made it very easy and a common occurrence for Chinese practitioners to be invited and visit certain schools. As a member of on of those, there were opportunities to exchange with them. It was very interesting to see many obvious similarities.

Unlike the case of the more recent Goju-ryu or Uechi ryu, there was no single kata nearly identical. Instead, there were common principles and techniques but identifying a specific system was not possible. Maybe this is due to the fact that the Shorin family of systems are comparatively older.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your curiosity and enthusiasm for similarities and differences in same MA systems.

My interest is mostly in Wing Chun where some do away with kicking while others have many forms, while others just a practice a few, some with others without weapons.

For me I get a better understanding of Wing Chun by understanding the wider picture of associations out there.

This for me is always interesting and surprising to learn about new ways of doing Wing Chun from masters from very different countries that have migrated and continued to develope independently from their ancestors.

Where some adopt the animal crane and snake concept, where others draw from roof top and narrow alleyways way of fighting, while there are those that practice with the similarities of geometry and coastal navigation, close combat fighting while on boats.

Of course there are harsh realities of life stories that has popularised Wing Chun in today's pop culture and having been developed by a woman monk does make it interesting to see how it can work in practice, for people of all ages and different genders.

Of course Bruce Lee has had a part to play in this story, he being another contributing factor that has made Wing Chun so interesting for many people.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not, in the sense you are describing here. I'd have to say the closest thing to a "parent" style to TKD would probably be Shotokan, and I have never been to a school or worked with a practitioner.

I have, however, had the pleasure to do something like what you've asked about with Sensei8, learning how things we do are similar or different, and our approaches to things. It was very informative and valuable time spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: