Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Shorin Ryu, switching to Tang Soo Do. Any thoughts? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I may not always respond, but I value everyone’s input on here.

Around the time that the pandemic started, I moved away from my home dojo (Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu) and I’ve been practicing on my own ever since. I’ve tried BJJ, but after multiple neck injuries, my body can’t handle it. I’ve tried Chito Ryu, but the instructors themselves (not the style) are not the kind of people I want to be around. Otherwise, the only other thing that’s near me is boxing and my passion has always been in the traditional arts, mainly Okinawan karate. I’d kill for a chance to do Goju Ryu, but nothing in my area.

However, there’s a Tang Soo Do place near me. Their class schedule works out with my work schedule, and I really enjoyed the conversation I had with the instructor. As a plus, they’ve been open for like 30+ years with the same instructor, who made it his full time job awhile ago. They also regularly participate in tournaments, although that’s not a big interest of mine - maybe down the road.

SO, style vs style, how rough do you think my transition could be? I never had an interest in Korean arts but I have no reason for that. The Japanese/okinawan and even the Chinese arts have always been very appealing to me, but not Korean. Not sure why.

Do you have any thoughts? Any experiences with Tang Soo Do that you’d like to share? Again, I’d appreciate any and all input that you can offer.

For reference, it’s the franchise known as CS KIM KARATE in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania - they have multiple locations.

Thank you in advance!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you run away from the almighty Shorin-Ryu. The council shall know about this treason!!!

In all seriousness, the transition is going to depend a lot on your openness to change techniques and the teacher's ability to teach. That they've been doing it for 30 years with success is promising. Tang Soo Do, from my understanding, will be a bit easier to transition to from Shorin-Ryu than if you were going to TKD. The stances are deeper, they might kick more than Shorin, but it's not a rough transition by any means. A lot of TSD dojangs will have similar kata with different names. They practice Naihanchi and the Pinans (called Pyung) so that will be familiar (though they differ in some ways so that's always fun trying to remember to do it the new way).

Overall, it shouldn't be too bad as long as you allow yourself to remain open to the changes. Lean on your experience where it helps, and be accepting of differences.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your kicking arsenal will grow. Separation anxiety will rear its confused head because of reeling in unfamiliar methodologies and ideologies. Your body will fight with its new change, and your muscle memory will take over the new methodologies and ideologies, but hopefully just for the moment.

As Bruce was so fond of saying..."Absorb that which is useful, discard the rest." Both MA styles have the pros and cons, as does any other MA. It's the maturity of the practitioner that overcomes that which seems difficult, or unnatural, once on the floor.

I believe that one of the biggest differences, other than the kicking arsenal, is the usage of the hips. Imho, TSD winds-up their hips whereas in Karate, slows it down as it’s an extra movement. Also, the hand would more naturally start on its own side of the body, so the Karate version is arguably a more natural starting position.

Change is good; embrace it wholeheartedly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Chun Sik Kim's school? I have a book written by him and Joe Goss, and I really enjoyed it. From what I read, the style has many Karate kata that have some slight differences, but still very recognizable. Like Bob mentioned, there will likely be more emphasis on kicking, but not necessarily at the expense of hand techniques. I think you'll enjoy training there.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much everyone!!

I was thinking WAY too much about this decision. All of your answers inspired me to dive right in. Made a commitment for 6 months to force myself to give it a good try. Thank you so much.

Possible updates!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this thread and the replies. Good luck on this new direction, Sean!

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking way to much about a thing is my jam. I totally get it. Can't wait to read the updates!

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!

So I believe it’s been 2 weeks since I started training at this place. I love it. It’s very traditional. We start off with bowing and brief meditation, then we do a warm up, followed by practicing our basics while moving up and down the floor - sometimes they’re basic basics, sometimes they’re advanced basics, I like the variations. Afterwards, we go over forms (I’ve learned motions 1, 2 and 3 so far) before we finish off with one step sparring. I’ve learned “hands 1-4” and “feet 1-4” as well for the one steps.

Although the forms seem a little awkward and “extra,” for lack of a better term (at least compared to Shorin Ryu), I really enjoy them regardless. I haven’t gotten to their versions of the Pinan kata yet, although they seem fun with extra kicks and bigger movements.

There seems to be a rotation on what we focus on. Some days, we do a LOT of basics in different stances, with a shorter time for forms and one steps. Other days, the focus is on forms, and then another day the focus is on one steps. I like this very much, as we still practice a bit of everything, regardless of what the focus of the day is.

I was *somewhat* surprised to discover that they don’t seem to practice any applications from their forms. Occasionally, the head instructor, Master Bruno, will show us what a move is, although we don’t get to practice it. This doesn’t really bother me because I obsess over bunkai PLENTY in my free time. I’m also open to the fact that, hey, that’s just not how they roll here.

Being a white belt again - oh boy. In some ways, I love it. People don’t expect me to know things. I can take my time working on building new habits (like chambering my arms for the low block). It’s kinda fun.

On the other hand, some of the middle ranks see a white belt on me and assume I just don’t know anything. I’m trying to be a sponge, so I’m open to anything that anyone has to say. There’s a green belt that was trying to correct me on something that he hadn’t learned yet for himself. Tang Soo Do, though very different, is also VERY similar to Shorin Ryu, or more accurately Shotokan - so I’ve always practiced this the same way. Respecting his rank, I tried to ask him some logic based questions to show him why he wasn’t correct, without actually correcting him.

Long story short, a higher belt made their way over and corrected the green belt himself. Then, to make sure I was clear, I had the higher belt re-teach me the same concept. After hearing it from a different point of view - I feel like I understand it even better now! I thought that was absolutely awesome.

I can see myself training here for awhile. The kata are different, but similar enough, that I feel like I can continue my training in Shorin Ryu without overwhelming myself in trying to keep up with two different styles.

Also, I’m trying my best not to be “that guy.” I remember at my old dojo, we’d have new guys be like “lol, we usually practice that THIS way.” Okay, well now you can do it this new way. I’m trying to be humble, respectful, and accept the fact that in this studio and in this style - things are simply different! What I know to be true elsewhere, may not be true here.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to begin this new journey!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! It sounds like you've found a really good dojo. I also try hard to "not be that guy" at my current dojo, where I'm going through a similar process. Luckily, they are super interested in the way that I first learned (being that it's just a different branch of Shorin Ryu) so I get to talk about it a lot.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for updating us! It sounds like you've got a great attitude and the perfect approach to this new, yet similar, training. Good for you! Enjoy this new step in the journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: