Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know Shotokan, Wado ryu and shlto ryu are the most popular so it would probably be one of those.

I don't know very much about the other styles but from what i do know, all of the styles are very similar but at the same time very, very different. The absolute basics, basic blocks, kicks, punches, terminology etc. are very similar if not identical, but there can be a vast difference in exactly how they are executed and the importance that is placed on them.
(i thought they were all very different but after making a few stupid comments in some of the topics i have discovered that most of the names, types of stances etc.. are the same)
The Katas for each style vary alot, mainly the order of the moves and sequences being added or left out.

Some styles focus on power and standing your ground more and some styles focus more on evading and deflecting, but they all cross over at some point.

Think of Karate as a pool of techniques, philosophy and ideas, each style chooses different combinations depending on who founded it and whether it's japanese or okinawan.

Hope that helps a bit, there is a lot of information in the older posts about the specific differences between styles.

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye Of The Tiger:

Yes, thats one theory.

You seem to have misread my post - i didn't say anything about this karateka being japanese

Cya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesnt' specify what type of karate it is, then its just some generic karate and the instructor doesn't have a certificate. There are many types of karate: wado ryu karate, yoshukai karate, ****o ryu karate, shotokan karate, and many more that I can't remember. Kickboxing is essentially karate, but without katas, weapons training, and defensive application. Kickboxing originated from karatekas who hated the rules of traditional sparring. They got together and just beated the crap out of each other, and they called this, contact sparring. Which evolve into kickboxing, somehow(hey I don't know how). A'ight!?!

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like CT hit it straight on the head

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: