Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Kanku Dai is a mix of the 5 Heian kata. However I recall my Sensei telling me that when the 5 Heian were done in a row they were one kata as well. Does anyone know the name of that kata?

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen speculation about that and similar speculation about the tekki katas. Based on what I have seen in my research it is based on the origins of the katas. Itosu was the one who broke the Naihanchi katas down into three as well as coming up with the five pinan katas.

Best guess is that practicing them consecutively in a nonstop manner comes closer to doing them in the form from which they came than doing them singly.

It is pretty much all guess work though.

By the way Kanku or Kosukan came first.

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-07-02 09:43 ]

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I knew that but I did not list it that way. I read the 5 Heian were develped so that it would be simpler to teach Kanku Dai and other kata later on.

I have also saw the Tekki kata done back to back.

We have also worked the family of Jion, Jitte, and Giin (or Jiin) in a sequence to see how that ended up.

I know many of the Kung Fu styles have really long kata (forms) since it is given karate came from Chinia I think it adds up that these kata were once put together in some fashion. However I don't have the wind to do them all back to back well. LOL....

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Jutte, Jiin and Jion but I really don't have any idea whichh order others learn them in. So much for oral tradition. It has its benefits and its limitations. I kind of think though, that if Jiin is in the middle the slower movements give a bit of a chance to catch the breath.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same question on how to order our kata when I first started training. My Sensei Howie Harvey took a simple way out. He bought K. Funakoshi tape series and did them in the order they were on the tapes. LOL. So that way if we are wrong its Sensei Ken Funakoshi's fault. LOL

You are right according to it Ginn or Jinn is the middle one.

I got the listing on my web site.
http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/wvka

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-07-04 01:49 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: