Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Shotokan roundhouse kick vs ITF TaeKwondo - the real differe Reply with quote

Despite spending several years in ITF TKD, and being well acquainted with Shotokan Karate, it didn't dawn on me until recently how their respective roundhouse kicks fundamentally differ, with an emphasis on fundamentally, and not the individuality of the practitioner.

You see, the difference, and it is subtle to the untrained eye, is that ITF TaeKwonDo cuts off the arc swing of the roundhouse kick. It is a less expansive set up motion. The chamber sequence is more tucked in. Only when the leg extends are they the same kick, although stiffness affecting posture may make it seems as if they are fundamentally different there as well (they are not).

It is analogous to a punch thrown with a wide loop, compared to a more tucked in, conservative arc. The karate kick is in this case the looping variation (to really swing into the target) while the TKD way is more of a vertical chamber with a bow twist to the motion as the end.

Last edited by immaterial on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gi5bnc0YX3U

Here's an example. Note how the TKD roundhouse kick has only two steps : tuck in, and lash out. The Shotokan kick has lift up to the side, tuck in, lash out

Age-Uke
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much spot on .. I think what I (Shotokan) also do is use the ball of my foot instead of the instep more. Which leads to different applications that if I was doing a maewashi geri with the instep. (Different targets, different angles)

As a Shotokan Karate-ka, I love how Korean arts kinda do what I do, but put their own spin on it. Really good stuff. Competitive wise, there is a tenacity that comes out of Korea that is extremely high.

It's like whatever you can do, I can do better! OS! TDK, Tung Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan, Hapkido...etc have been weighted, measured and NOT found wanting! Good stuff.

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age-Uke wrote:
Pretty much spot on .. I think what I (Shotokan) also do is use the ball of my foot instead of the instep more. Which leads to different applications that if I was doing a maewashi geri with the instep. (Different targets, different angles)

As a Shotokan Karate-ka, I love how Korean arts kinda do what I do, but put their own spin on it. Really good stuff. Competitive wise, there is a tenacity that comes out of Korea that is extremely high.

It's like whatever you can do, I can do better! OS! TDK, Tung Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan, Hapkido...etc have been weighted, measured and NOT found wanting! Good stuff.

Hi there! Ball of the foot is the default kicking surface in ITF TKD too. Instep is the surface for competition sparring. So the kicks are similiar but TKD decided to shortcut the swing, for whatever reason. It might be an evolution brought on by sports or simply the pioneers of that era kicking in that certain way, making it the blue print hence forth.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post immaterial. Do you have an example of a Shotokan kick you can share? I train ITF TKD and am struggling to picture the Shotokan version.

immaterial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Interesting post immaterial. Do you have an example of a Shotokan kick you can share? I train ITF TKD and am struggling to picture the Shotokan version.

Yes: Hwang Jag Lee Lee learned TKD when it was still Shotokan. (he is not an ITF practitioner like the uploader states, and I don't even think he has an honorary rank in ITF.. )

Watch 10::10 for the exact instructional of the shotokan roundhouse kick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvpFvJUTCo8&t=614s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: