Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Crossing in front is no good.

There are a few good ways to throw a side kick, and that is not one of them.

Agreed...step behind is the way we do it also.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todome wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
For anything...In Shindokan we're taught to have our kicking foot cross in front of our supporting leg's foot when executing this kick, as well as bringing both feet together prior to same said kick. I've tried it opposite, but, it feels wrong/strange to me.

more like a heel kick?

Yeah...kinda. The thing to remember is, in Shindokan, we don't kick above the waist...ever. Any above the waist kick I've ever learned was from TKD's GM Young Ik Suh.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
MasterPain wrote:

I concur!!

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Yeah...kinda. The thing to remember is, in Shindokan, we don't kick above the waist...ever.

Shorin Ryu also..and I concur with your concur.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sideburns wrote:
For example, I was initially taught to use a stepping side kick in TKD from a horse riding stance. If I were to strike using my left leg, my body would be bladed toward the target with my left leg in front. I would then step with my right leg crossing BEHIND my left leg, chamber my left leg and then thrust at the target. The Shotokan method was essentially the same, except I was instructed to cross IN FRONT OF my kicking leg. This felt awkward and I never really got the knack for it. Consequently, when I sparred in Shotokan, I fell back on my previous training.

When I was in the ATA, we always did the step behind side kick, even in practice. In my current school, we do the kick the way you describe; set up is stepping in front instead of behind. But, we only do it this way in basics, and the reason for it is to really focus on using the hips to drive the kick out. It also forces you to really chamber the kicking leg up before kicking. When stepping behind, it is more possible to "drag" the kicking leg up, so that the kick has more of a line angling upwards from start to finish, as opposed to going straight out.

When I spar and break boards, I do the step behind. It can be good to do both. However, I don't side kick a lot in sparring anyways.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
MasterPain wrote:

I do agree with you guys here. I think in general crossing the legs is not very sound tactically. Its a good way to get pushed over I think. Any step done needs to be done quickly, and with as little time spent crossed up as possible.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In kyokushin i have never been taught to 'step' behind or in front, the Yoko Geri is fired straight from a pivot in Tsuru-Ashi-Dachi (like turning for a roundhouse, but a little further, and then firing the side kick in a straight line to the target).

What about step-up as a set up too?.. Like bringing the insides of the feet together then firing the kick?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:
In kyokushin i have never been taught to 'step' behind or in front, the Yoko Geri is fired straight from a pivot in Tsuru-Ashi-Dachi (like turning for a roundhouse, but a little further, and then firing the side kick in a straight line to the target).

Just to clarify what you are saying here, do you only do it as a back leg kick, then? It is a powerful kick that way, for sure, but I always find it is just so much slower and more cumbersome to get around to execute. That could just be that I'm slow, too.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
Interesting enough, I neither step in front nor back during kumite. In a seminar, I had an Isshin Ryu instrutor who taught me to slide. So I've slid ever since. Even nowadays during kihon training, I end up sliding after the step in front.

(Don't ask me where an Isshin Ryu instructor learned to do a sliding side kick.)

I have also been taught the sliding version and a shuffling version, and I do tend to use both of those a lot more often in sparring than the stepping side kick unless I really need to plow through somebody with the kick and want the extra wind up and distance.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
yamesu wrote:

Just to clarify what you are saying here, do you only do it as a back leg kick, then? It is a powerful kick that way, for sure, but I always find it is just so much slower and more cumbersome to get around to execute. That could just be that I'm slow, too.

No not at all. It is fired off the front just as easily (perhaps more-so) as the back leg.
My best attempt at a written analogy would be - think Kokutsu Dachi, bringing the front leg into a Tsuru-Ashi-Dashi, then turning and extending the leg straight through into the kick. Sanshou fighters display good examples of this in practice.

I agree though - and am in the same boat. If i fire the side kick off my back leg like this, I'll rarely ever land it.... The power is there, but it is well telegraphed, so ends up becoming more of a "push" kick.

Osu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: