Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sideburns
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Shotokan karate, and dabbled in Aikido and Judo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Shotokan stepping side kick versus TKD stepping side kick Reply with quote

Coming from a background in TKD, when I briefly trained in Shotokan, I really disliked its stepping side. I preferred the TKD stepping side kick because I could generate much more power. Getting used to a different way of performing one of my favorite kicks was difficult. Anyone else feel the same?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shotokan stepping side kick versus TKD stepping side kic Reply with quote

Sideburns wrote:
Coming from a background in TKD, when I briefly trained in Shotokan, I really disliked its stepping side. I preferred the TKD stepping side kick because I could generate much more power. Getting used to a different way of performing one of my favorite kicks was difficult. Anyone else feel the same?

Would you mind describing these different stepping methods? As it stands I do not have much exposure to TKD but I have been taught a few different ways to step for my side kicks and there are only so many ways that the body can move effectively. If you could give descriptions, videos or step-by-step photos to go off of it would be helpful. Thanks!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Sideburns
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, I was initially taught to use a stepping side kick in TKD from a horse riding stance. If I were to strike using my left leg, my body would be bladed toward the target with my left leg in front. I would then step with my right leg crossing BEHIND my left leg, chamber my left leg and then thrust at the target. The Shotokan method was essentially the same, except I was instructed to cross IN FRONT OF my kicking leg. This felt awkward and I never really got the knack for it. Consequently, when I sparred in Shotokan, I fell back on my previous training.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossing in front is no good.

There are a few good ways to throw a side kick, and that is not one of them.

Sideburns
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it. Sometimes it felt like I was going to tear my knee up. However, that was probably my only complaint about a particular Shotokan technique. Is it safe to assume that this way a performing a side kick is common among Japanese/Okinawan karate styles or just Shotokan in particular?

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied shotokan for several years and was never taught to step in front. That hinders your ability to chamber.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Duk Sung Son's Korean Karate, there are photos (p. 50) of GM Son performing a side stretch kick, not a side kick with step. I consider it an exercise from reading the text. The book was published in 1968, and when I took his style of karate in the late 80s, it was taught as the way to do the side kick with step. A friend who knew Isshinryu taught me to do that kick with the stepping leg behind. When I studied Soo Bahk Do, the kick is executed with the stepping leg behind.

The only problem I can see with the stepping leg being behind the kicking leg is that someone might turn it into more of a back kick than a side kick. That's why we have instructors and lots of practice.

Kodiak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Parkour.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying this, I have no real problem going into a front crossover side kick, no torque on my knee at all. It's slower but more powerful than how I do a stepping sidekick now (no crossover, bring the rear foot up to meet the kicking foot). I'm doing it from a neutral bow stance though (haven't kicked out of a horse stance since I quit TKD a decade and a half ago), the different stance could be it.

Edit: I feel old.

Last edited by Kodiak on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trained two different styles of karate--Shuri-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu--and in both I have been taught to do a stepping side kick by stepping behind my kicking leg. This method is going to be both faster and more powerful then stepping in front because it allows for smoother chambering of the knee to launch the kick. I will say that stepping in front can make it FEEL more powerful because you have to draw the leg back further, but that is just a sensory illusion because you will be bringing the knee back just as far either way but when you step in front you will have lost some of your momentum by the time you can launch the kick.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TKD, couple of different ways to do it. Any side or half-facing stance will work, so the horse stance, L- or parallel stance can be used (amongst others). Almost always step behind or on rarer occasions, foot-to-foot.

Front crossover just doesn't work so well because you get your legs tangled up as you try to chamber and it hinders your hip probably the cause of your knee pain.

Are you sure its a Shotokan thing? as opposed to an individual school thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: