Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the patch that has the tiger below a half moon in a cyrcle. However I have seen this flipped to where the half moon was on op of the tiger.

What is the differance. I know the JKA thing has the small cyrcle on the bottom witht he half moon above and no tiger.

Is thsi just art work or what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in row 8 over to the right. You will see a red and orange Shotokan patch. These are the 2 I am talking

about.http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=544&cgrfnbr=52850&main_cat=611&catalog=Y

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wear the simple orange and black patch with the orange tiger in a black circle. Over the circle is the kanji for shotokan.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something on the origin of the shotokan tiger.

The Tiger on Our Patch

Ever wonder about where the tiger on our Shotokan patch originated? There are two main stories to explain its beginning. One story has a nice feel of lore about it; the other is a bit colder and more practical.

For those who like lore: When Master Funakoshi was a young man he like to walk in a pine forest near his home. At night after working and training hard all day he would walk up Mt. Torao and meditate among the pines. He would look up at the moon and the stars. He would listen to the wind. He enjoyed the cool breezes blowing through the trees. He listened to the wind. He thought the wind coming through the trees sounded like the ocean waves breaking in upon the shore. This is where the poet inside him received its greatest inspiration. He like it so much, he chose ?Shoto? for his pen name.
Shoto means pine waves.

Mt. Torao is a very narrow, heavily wooded mountain. From a distance it looks like a tiger?s tail. So when you look at the patch you see a tiger. And at the tigers tail you see a little mark representing a scroll of poetry.

The colder more practical explanation came about with the publication of a book. It comes from the expression ?tora no maki? which means the official written document of an art or a system. There was a famous artist named Hoan Kosugi who was also involved in the development and spread of Shotokan karate in Japan. He encouraged Master Funakoshi to write a book and came up with the tiger as a painting for the book cover. It is a traditional Chinese design with a special meaning ?the tiger never sleeps?. This tiger symbolizes the alertness of the tiger and the peace Master Funakoshi had in his mind when he was listening to pine waves on Tigers Tail Mountain.

Whether or not you like the lore story or the more practical explanation it is still easy to appreciate the symbol with its multiplicity of meaning. In a way isn?t that like karate do itself? There are multiple levels to everything we learn in the dojo.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read in Kung Fu the tiger was a sign of power. Thats why I assumed we used the tiger. I enjoyed both stories and I assume the truth is somewhere between the two. LOL. However I still ask why is the moon on top and on the bottom in differant patches?

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A split within an association where the off shoot didn't entirely want to give up the symbol?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which one goes with what?

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting history of tiger there Sai!

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool website thanks...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: