Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

steveking63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just come back from a very enjoyable comp at Karate International Leeds> very well run and organised. Nice one Jim.
However certains aspects concern me. Fighters being openly encouraged by their coaches to be excessively aggessive towards their opponents. This rather stirs the emotions.
I thought it was about controling your aggression and anger to best effect, not just steaming in all guns blazing. Should these coaches be reprimanded and are they letting their students down by not directing them properly.Fight hard but fair and with respect.

steveking63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-30 16:35, steveking63 wrote:
I have just come back from a very enjoyable comp at Karate International Leeds> very well run and organised. Nice one Jim.
However certains aspects concern me. Fighters being openly encouraged by their coaches to be excessively aggessive towards their opponents. This rather stirs the emotions.
I thought it was about controling your aggression and anger to best effect, not just steaming in all guns blazing. Should these coaches be reprimanded and are they letting their students down by not directing them properly.Fight hard but fair and with respect.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on who you are fighting. Sometimes you have to get aggresive. Most times, I find that I calm myself down and make the other person do what I want them to do.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two things our master told our tournament team before they went down to a competition this weekend was: a) if the other person wants to spar hard, spar hard right back, and b) you get one warning and a point deduction before you're disqualified. Don't go in and kill the other guy, but you have a buffer--don't be too cautious, it may cost you points.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competion is just that competion. If you want to win. WIN. I don't coach my football players to just go out and have fun. I coach them to win. Now I don't say go out there and grab the QB's arm and break it on the first play. However the purpose of competion is to see who is better not just physically but mentally. Lots of times one can act agressive and completely destroy the other guy because he is affraid. Sounds like a good plan to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think controlled aggression is fine, but all out excessive aggression is not. With controlled aggression you can keep your emotions in check. Without the control factor, emotions can get whacky on you because we are human after all.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: