Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

leo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first should state that I do not have good periferal vision (partially blind). I have taken tae kwon do and hapkido in the past, had to stop do to job:)

But I have been really impressed with the UFC fights I have seen. The type of art I am looking for is one that focuses on real life fights and does not waste a lot of time with anything else. One that is fairly easy to learn. And one that can take into account my not so good eyesite. I don't have to be the greatest martial artist on the street just want to know how to really put the HURT on anyone that tries to kill me. Any way thanks for any feed back:)

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi welcome to te forums! i think mayb aikido might be good for what you want. it involves lots of locks and chokes and things like that. i dont study it myself but this is what i know about it. hope i could help.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its as long as it is wide. Both offer completely differant things. If all things are equal I would talk to members of each class and fidn the better teacher.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOH WOOH WOOH.......I dont think Aikido is what Leo is after. (if I am correct in thinking that he is after a street based MA)

But, countering that, if the Aikido instructor bases his teaching on street work (which is quite rare) then maybe you want to explore that root.

Bottom line as G95 said: it all depends on the instructor - there is no such thing as universal Karate/Jiu-jitsu/etc,

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sinbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leo
you should consider judo. Since you have hold of your opponent, feel and sensitivity are just as important as vision. We have a partially sighted guy in our judo class and he does pretty well. Judo is also very effective as self defence. All the grappling, takdowns, submissions and chokes you see in the UFC are part of the judo syllabus.

[ This Message was edited by: Sinbad on 2002-05-29 19:53 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: