Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken wrote:
If it would go to court though, when the judge finds out that you are a Martial Artist will ask the question Why did you not just defend yourself without hurting the attacker?

I don't think that a judge would really ask that kind of question. It will be based on level of threat, and how it was handled. It all goes back to use of force.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Ken wrote:
If it would go to court though, when the judge finds out that you are a Martial Artist will ask the question Why did you not just defend yourself without hurting the attacker?

I don't think that a judge would really ask that kind of question. It will be based on level of threat, and how it was handled. It all goes back to use of force.

I tend to agree with bushido_man96... If things turn physical it would be quiet difficult to effectively defend yourself with hurting the attacker one way or another. Its the amount of damage in relation to the threat that would be taken into consideration.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - proportional response.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

stejitsu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: ng gar tien, wing chun, kung fu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old school ju jitsu instructor i used to train with (who has sadly deceased) used to say;

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''First in First served''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

This rings true in my eyes. Wait for a chance to counter and you may be counting your teeth on the pavement!!!!!

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stejitsu wrote:
An old school ju jitsu instructor i used to train with (who has sadly deceased) used to say;

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''First in First served''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

This rings true in my eyes. Wait for a chance to counter and you may be counting your teeth on the pavement!!!!!

I like that saying. It rings true, I think. No point in waiting for it.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"First in, first served" is a defensive term that means the first opponent toward you gets hit/thrown/killed first. It doesn't mean you hit first. I believe that saying comes from foxholes getting overrun.

Another saying is "shoot the closest alligator to the boat." Either way, the highest threat is served (by you) first.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Sensei Tom O'Brien
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Vee-Jitsu, Shotokan, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you should try to avoid a confrontation at any cost. If you can't avoid it and it is imminent then you should pull out all the stops and attack with 'fudoshin'. Here is what that means:
Fudoshin: [whenever] someone is faced with a difficult situation, he can do as usual with [an] unshakable mind.
--Inoue Tsuyoshi Munetoshi, 18th soke, Hontai Yoshin Ryu
To achieve this mental state and the practiced ability of unhesitating and appropriate response, there is at least one critical prescription: training. Dedicated, consistent and ardent training. Such training allows the practitioner's techniques to become expert and natural movements--movements performed like our everyday motions of walking, eating, or brushing our teeth--without need for stringent conscious control. Furthermore, while training to attain this state of technical mastery in which the technique becomes the outward expression of an "artless art," the karateka learns to confront and ultimately master his fears and doubts.
The other concept to keep in mind is Iken Isatsu, meaning 'one strike one kill' the true training of karate.
Having said all that although I am a martial artist I am also from 'Hell's Kitchen' and the guy who hits first and hits hard usually wins the fight.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people question how you know when it becomes applicable to strike first.

There are warning signs, if you know what to look for, that will give the opponent up. Clenched teeth will advertise that the attacker is gearing up to strike, and is not calming down. Also, watch to see if they clinch their fists up. That is a sign of a possible incoming strike.

If you notice these signs after attempting to de-escalate the situation, you could probably justify a pre-emptive strike.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Many people question how you know when it becomes applicable to strike first.

There are warning signs, if you know what to look for, that will give the opponent up. Clenched teeth will advertise that the attacker is gearing up to strike, and is not calming down. Also, watch to see if they clinch their fists up. That is a sign of a possible incoming strike.

If you notice these signs after attempting to de-escalate the situation, you could probably justify a pre-emptive strike.

Well said bushido_man96.

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obiwansbane wrote:
just thought i should mention this... it doesnt matter if they surrounded you and were just about to beat you to oblivion, you attack first, you risk assault charges...

so i personally would wait for them to at least have some limb coming at me before hitting them (still premptive, they will go for the big obvious wind up, all u need is a quick jab to shake em up a bit, then u go with the full on attack) of course the best thing to do, is to take ure keys, put em in ure hand, and make them count...

Not if you can out write the bad guys in your statement to the police
if you are outnum,bered 5 to 2 and are surrounded I think you can clearly articulate that you were in fear for your life

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: