Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

dude21862004
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Shoulder injury Reply with quote

Redacted

Last edited by dude21862004 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what effects has it had on your range of motion, and ability to use the muscles in that region? I'm not familiar with that exact condition, but a lot of things like that have some variance from one person to another in any case. Has your doctor given you any input on the subject?

Some martial arts are very picky about keeping the elbows in tight, which also has the side effect of reducing the R.O.M. requirements. You may want to start on the usual report that we need to be able to answer "what art" questions effectively - that is, what sort of options do you have, exactly? Are you in a major city or what, what sort of schools and teachers are within the range you are willing to travel, and suchlike. Is there anything in particular you want from your art? It does nobody any good to discover "I would do best in a school studying insertnamehere style!" when the nearest school in that art is five hundred miles away from you. it also does no good to go to a school that is awesomely good at something you are totally uninterested in, and which does not do something you want to learn.

dude21862004
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redacted

Last edited by dude21862004 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

dude21862004
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also forgot that I have a pain in my wrist that prevents me from putting pressure on it, like when you do push-ups. Would that cause a problem?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could, depending on the requirements of the school.

I think if I were you, I'd find a place to train, explain your situation, and make it known that you plan on easing into your training. If you start experience soreness, then it may time to stop and rest. You may only be able to work for 20 minutes or so in the beginning. Just make sure to listen to your body.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
It could, depending on the requirements of the school.

I think if I were you, I'd find a place to train, explain your situation, and make it known that you plan on easing into your training. If you start experience soreness, then it may time to stop and rest. You may only be able to work for 20 minutes or so in the beginning. Just make sure to listen to your body.

This is what I was going to say. Any good instructor will be able to tailor your training to compensate for an injury.

Don't know about your specific condition but I've trained with two people who have had shoulder injuries. One lady's shoulder would actually dislocate every now and again in class. She'd compensate for it by modifying certain movements or by not using that arm to strike or punch as hard.

Another person I train with had a similar problem but had surgery to correct the issue. She's still going strong, has minor problems every now and again but can fully get on with her training providing she is aware of her limitations and doesn't overdo things.

Speak to your physio to see what they recommend. The second person I mentioned was recommended by her physio to do extra strength training for her shoulder so she started doing kettlebell workouts.

dude21862004
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the good advice, hopefully I'll be able to get started in the next month or so. Gonna talk to my physical therapist first, but I don't think she'll have any problems with it.

Get'erDone
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Kyukoshin, Judo and Self-Defense

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude21862004 wrote:
I also forgot that I have a pain in my wrist that prevents me from putting pressure on it, like when you do push-ups. Would that cause a problem?

Do you find there is less pain if you were to do push-ups on your knuckles/fist? I don't know if it would be a problem or not as it depends on your instructor. All martial arts make use of the wrist in various ways but generally an instructor would, or should, tailor to your injuries.

Since you mentioned you had surgery on your shoulder, did you have only a Hills-Sachs lesion or a Bankart lesion accompanying the Hills-Sachs lesion? The reason I ask is both have a similar shoulder dislocation, only there will be a greater restriction on the range of motion for the latter. As this is all online, I'd trust your doctor and physical therapist. You may want to ask them about starting martial arts, especially if you have a particular type in mind (i.e. grappling, striking and so forth) or even a style. Probably after a few classes, you could tell your physical therapist how basic moves are performed and if it'll impact you. Likewise, tell the instructor as well as other students.

dude21862004
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get'erDone wrote:
dude21862004 wrote:

Do you find there is less pain if you were to do push-ups on your knuckles/fist? I don't know if it would be a problem or not as it depends on your instructor. All martial arts make use of the wrist in various ways but generally an instructor would, or should, tailor to your injuries.

Since you mentioned you had surgery on your shoulder, did you have only a Hills-Sachs lesion or a Bankart lesion accompanying the Hills-Sachs lesion? The reason I ask is both have a similar shoulder dislocation, only there will be a greater restriction on the range of motion for the latter. As this is all online, I'd trust your doctor and physical therapist. You may want to ask them about starting martial arts, especially if you have a particular type in mind (i.e. grappling, striking and so forth) or even a style. Probably after a few classes, you could tell your physical therapist how basic moves are performed and if it'll impact you. Likewise, tell the instructor as well as other students.

I'm not sure, it's been a couple years since the surgery so I can't remember the exact problem any more. The biggest thing I'm afraid of is being thrown with my left arm, because I'm pretty sure that would dislocate it again. I'm probably going to stop by my physical therapist's office and talk to her about it next week. Get some more answers.

As to the wrist, the pain comes when I bend my hand and then put pressure on it. It's from a cyst that I have/had in my wrist, makes certain things painful, but I dunno the exact extent. According to my doctor all I need to take is Ibuprofen, but I was just curious on if the pain in that area would cause too many problems.

Evil Dave
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a exercise band, a rubber band on steroids with handles, to work on your shoulder. The exercise bands are a great tool for increasing range of motion and stability in the shoulder girdle. Google / Youtube exercise bands and shoulder exercises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: