Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my Karate club everyone shouts out these screaming words every time they do some kind of move. Does anyone have an explanation for the pupose of shouting 'HEY YA' for example. Icant see anything about why screaming in Karate helps apart from scaring someone!

Knuth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kia before a match to startle my partner. I find it is really effective against less experienced fighters. It can also be used to focus power into a move and it really creates a mindset that "I'm at war here and I'm going to win."

I know some people who do it right before their move and it tips their opponet off and loose because of it.

I don't think it should be done during every move but against two equilly skilled fighters it may give an upper hand to one if used in moderation.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the kiai in karate is an important part of the art. It allows you to focus all your energy and power on an intended target upon delivery, plus it also helps you absorb or take a shot better when one slips past your defense.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the kiyap in CKD for two things. One is to scare people in an actual fight (works well too), the other is to help release adrenaline (also works well).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shocked this was never explained to you by your sensei. This is one of the most important things you will ever learn in karate IMO.

First of all its not a screem it more of a grunt or letting out of air. Do not use you voice box or you will hurt you throat. You must learn to pull it from you diaphram.

Reasons to Kai
1. As you guessed it is used to scare people. You Kia and they think my god this guy is nuts.
2. The Kia lets out more energy. If you ever watch guys lifting weights or or doing somthing that strains the body you hear them grunt. This air you release will allow the muscles to work more. You alos can punch faster and harder with the kia.
3. It prepars you to take a hit. When you Kia if you notice your stomach muscles tighten up. Thus you are ready to get hit.
4. Helps you relax and control you breathing.
5. Helps with cardio. If you wever watch a football team or other sport run though ropes or do other drills you often hear them shouting. If you talk while you are doing something aerobic you will get in shape a bit faster.

You may want to look into the internal arts secetion for more info on the Kai. Look for things like developing Chi or Ki as well.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the kiai right when the referee says hajime so its like me saying "here I am, come get some!"

Also, for all the reasons mentioned above. Plus it sounds cool!

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never forget the first time I tested with a big group and my friend who drove asked "What's all the shouting about?" The forceful exhalation on the technique strengthens it and adds to the power. Watch people in the weight room. The more effort they are putting out the more noise is made.

Even unathletic people make noises when engaged in a physical act such as lifting a heavy object.

Take some time on your own and do some of your drills. Do them silently then to them with a forceful exhalation. See what the difference is.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to some degree it can be an instinctive thing. Some people grunt, yell, exhale loudly naturally when doing physical work.

Why?

Because when you exhale, you tense your stomach muscles, plus others, making you more solid, rigid and stable - the "hard" in GoJu.

In most forms of physical activity, one inhales and "goes soft" on the "off beat/stroke", i.e lifting the axe, moving oars forward out of water, pulling hand back for a punch. Then exhale sharply on the forceful action, i.e chopping the wood, pulling the oar through water, throwing the punch.

I learnt this breath control instinctively from things like rowing, but found it totally applicable to karate.

Also from doing a lot of rapping and vocal recording I've learnt to "shout from the stomach", which can result in some VERY loud kiai. (and no, I don't hurt my throat)

To sum up, a kiai can:

1. Scare/stun your opponent (if done right)

2. Ensure exhalation on striking, which in turn

a. Ensures proper muscle tension

b. tenses the stomach which provides a harder surface if your opponent also gets a blow through (the actual, rather simple, basis of all "combat ki" stuff)

3. Encourage a spontaneous "combat mind" where you instinctively throw the best blow with each shout, rather than sit there with your mind chattering "try a jab, maybe a roundhouse, no wait, I could show off that fancy new kick here...maybe I should hard block that punch coming at me, or I could step outside, or try to catch and lock, or ..." boof! ouch!

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also quite surprised this was not taught to you, although a lot of classes initially just get you to copy everyone else, so perhaps not so surprising really.

As people have said, it's called a "kiai" (pronounced like key-EYE) but you don't actually say that word when doing it! In effect it usually comes out as "Ei!", "Ya!" or just a kind of "Eurgh!" sound! If the rest of the class are saying something like "Hi-YA!" then they are wasting air and giving themselves away with the "hi" bit as it is more effective as one syllable only. If you are doing drills then it is usually ordered on the last one of each set, so if you are doing ten punches, you would kiai on the 10th. Also, when doing something like 5-attack drills iwth a partner, usually on the 5th attack the attacker would kiai, and when the defender did the final counter-attack they too would kiai. It's the culmination of one's efforts.

It also appears in certain set places in the katas, eg at the 8th and 16th moves of "kyon" kata (aka takyoko-sho).

At least that's how it works in the Shotokan that I have practised.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiai or kiyap actually translates to shout in Korean, and I imagine some other Eastern languages, so shouting it would essentially be the same as yelling 'shout!'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: