Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Shuai Jiao Reply with quote

Does anyone train in Chinese wrestling? If so do you have any resources on it. I am researching this and am finding it difficult to find many resources. I have found a few things on line but not exactly what I am looking for.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one trains in this or can give insight? I was under the impression that most Chinese arts had components of both Qin Na (Chin Na) and Shuai Jiao in them.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be congratulated on asking these questions about Shaui Jiao and Chin Na as these two aspects are highly underrate and not usually fully appreciate or understood, as much as they should be.

Wikipedia has a good explanations about the different types of Shuai Jiao.

We use "Shuai Jiao" within the Wing Chun style and combine it in conjunction with kicks, sweeps and takedowns, to upset the opponent's balance whilst striking.

There are "Shuai Jiao" two person exercises that look similar to Judo.

Chin Na practice is a personal choice among Chinese MA Sifus. Some use it extensively, as I do and others hardly at all.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
You should be congratulated on asking these questions about Shaui Jiao and Chin Na as these two aspects are highly underrate and not usually fully appreciate or understood, as much as they should be.

We use "Shuai Jiao" within the Wing Chun style and combine it in conjunction with kicks, sweeps and takedowns, to upset the opponent's balance whilst striking.

Chin Na practice is a personal choice among Chinese MA Sifus. Some use it extensively, as I do and others hardly at all.

I was told by my Shinshii at a recent seminar that many of the techniques we use in Tegumi comes from Shuai Jiao. He knows that I have been researching many of our Kata's applications and one part in particular (throws and take downs) have been very hard to research. I was always told that these came from Qin Na but in my research I have not been able to find the connection. What we call Tuidi fits into Qin Na not Tegumi.

They are similar in some respects to Judo but are executed slightly different. In talking with him and one of or arts Okinawan seniors I was told to look at Shuai Jiao for answers.
Unfortunately finding the exact throws, sweeps, and take downs is very difficult because there is not a ton of info out there to research. That is not to say I have not found a few in watching the few Youtube vids I could find but finding more than a handful of examples has proven very difficult. I am also not looking for the competitive sport examples.

Do you have access to throwing, sweeping and take down applications that you could share specifically in Shuai Jiao? If so PM me I would love to see them. The deeper you research an art the more elusive it becomes and the more questions you end up having. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

I was told by my Shinshii at a recent seminar that many of the techniques we use in Tegumi comes from Shuai Jiao. He knows that I have been researching many of our Kata's applications and one part in particular (throws and take downs) have been very hard to research. I was always told that these came from Qin Na but in my research I have not been able to find the connection. What we call Tuidi fits into Qin Na not Tegumi.

They are similar in some respects to Judo but are executed slightly different. In talking with him and one of or arts Okinawan seniors I was told to look at Shuai Jiao for answers.
Unfortunately finding the exact throws, sweeps, and take downs is very difficult because there is not a ton of info out there to research. That is not to say I have not found a few in watching the few Youtube vids I could find but finding more than a handful of examples has proven very difficult. I am also not looking for the competitive sport examples.

Do you have access to throwing, sweeping and take down applications that you could share specifically in Shuai Jiao? If so PM me I would love to see them. The deeper you research an art the more elusive it becomes and the more questions you end up having. Any help would be much appreciated.
See where you are coming from MatsuShimsii.

I specialize in Shuai Jiao.

It is one of those things that falls in to the category of "Felt and not Seen"

I learned it from a Tai Chi master from Hong Kong in about 1990.

Shuai Jiao is very profound. I cannot imagine myself to be a martial artist without it.

As it takes two to Tango it would be easier to explain face to face. As this is not possible I give it a go with words.

I can only give hints and suggestions on how it is done. So please bear with me.

There is no text book on this subject, due to it being esoteric.

The gravity of the Earth.

Everyone is constantly maintaining balance consciously or unconsciously.

Sensitivity of the opponent's balance.

Controlling the opponent's balance.

Pressure sensitivity techniques through the hands.

If I can sense my opponent to be leaning to the left, then that is the direction I will be gently be pull him over to. This works with all directions.

As what I'm doing is gentle and subtle, then there is no struggle and there is no feeling of a threat to the opponent, only a sense of unbalance like being tipsy.

While in control of the opponent's balance Chin Na of striking techniques can be used.

As the opponent is preoccupied with saving their own balance, techniques are relatively easy to use.

This all works best in a struggle situation with the opponent, this is a win win situation for the Shuai Jiao martial artist.

There are ways in practicing alone, if interested I can give a few pointers.

Any specific questions on this subject, I will be happy to try and answer them for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: