Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ronin and KW-11 are cut similarly. If one fits, the other should.

There's really no comparison in the quality of the material, as the K-11's material is better in every way. It's lighter (good or bad is subjective), breathes better, and is far softer and smoother. I still sweat a lot, but not as much. That's not a knock on the Ronin though; we're comparing a $65 gi to a $185 gi.

The Ronin does have two things going for it (other than price) - the ties are the best ties I've ever seen. I wish Shureido used them. They never loosen nor come untied. The Shureido ties are ordinary. And the Ronin has more snap to it. I don't care about that, but it's something I noticed a week or two ago.

I really love the K-11. It's the perfect gi for me. It fits right, feels great, and if it's anything like my K-10 was, it'll last a long time. Worth every penny IMO.

I really like the Ronin too. In your shoes, I'd buy one to hold me over. Who knows, you may not want a K-11 afterward. It's a very good gi.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
The Ronin and KW-11 are cut similarly. If one fits, the other should.

There's really no comparison in the quality of the material, as the K-11's material is better in every way. It's lighter (good or bad is subjective), breathes better, and is far softer and smoother. I still sweat a lot, but not as much. That's not a knock on the Ronin though; we're comparing a $65 gi to a $185 gi.

The Ronin does have two things going for it (other than price) - the ties are the best ties I've ever seen. I wish Shureido used them. They never loosen nor come untied. The Shureido ties are ordinary. And the Ronin has more snap to it. I don't care about that, but it's something I noticed a week or two ago.

I really love the K-11. It's the perfect gi for me. It fits right, feels great, and if it's anything like my K-10 was, it'll last a long time. Worth every penny IMO.

I really like the Ronin too. In your shoes, I'd buy one to hold me over. Who knows, you may not want a K-11 afterward. It's a very good gi.

Do you own a 10oz. gi? How does the K-11 compare to one of those?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they've been 10 oz. exactly, but most middleweight gis I've seen are twill material rather than canvas. Basically, a little heavier than instructors typically give out for free with initially signing up.

Regarding Shureido's K-11, picture a 12 oz. gi, but just a little lighter. Still all cotton canvas, still stiff enough to not look like you're wearing pajamas. I train with several people who wear middleweight gis. I hate to say it, but they're all garbage IMO. The material is like a light pair of jeans rather than stiffer canvas. It looks like a lot of them also mix polyester in the material. In that case, the gi is even hotter as polyester doesn't breathe like cotton.

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with a K-11. I look at it as a cooler wearing (as in temperature) version of the the K-10.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I don't know if they've been 10 oz. exactly, but most middleweight gis I've seen are twill material rather than canvas. Basically, a little heavier than instructors typically give out for free with initially signing up.

Regarding Shureido's K-11, picture a 12 oz. gi, but just a little lighter. Still all cotton canvas, still stiff enough to not look like you're wearing pajamas. I train with several people who wear middleweight gis. I hate to say it, but they're all garbage IMO. The material is like a light pair of jeans rather than stiffer canvas. It looks like a lot of them also mix polyester in the material. In that case, the gi is even hotter as polyester doesn't breathe like cotton.

I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with a K-11. I look at it as a cooler wearing (as in temperature) version of the the K-10.

Interesting. The reason why I ask is because I have no idea how heavy or light Shureido gis are (the fact that they don't use ounce designations makes things really difficult).

The gi I'm wearing now is a ProForce 10oz. heavyweight. It's basically a 100% cotton heavyweight gi but made as light as possible. I really like it; light, tough and has a nice snap. It even uses the nice ties that Ronin and Meijin use. My biggest gripe with it though is the top is an inch too short, possibly due to my flat shoulders.

I'd like to find something that is around the same weight and quality. The K-10 sounds like it might be in the colossal 14oz. range and that would be a bit too heavy for me. The K-11 is a mystery as to how heavy it is, but if you say it's a little lighter than a 12oz, then that would be perfect.

I guess the only way to find out is to order one to see if I like it.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess, I'd say the K-10 is 12 oz and the K-11 is 10 oz. The K-11 is a little lighter than my 12 oz Ronin.

These are odd gis (in a very good way); they're cooler and lighter feeling than the typical gis. They breathe so much better. Add to that the material is softer and whiter.

It's hard to describe. Even just initially handling it doesn't do much justice.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting in my Shureido gi today and measuring it, this size chart appears to be the most accurate at the moment:

http://www.okinawadirect.com/shopcontent.asp?type=DogiSizing

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd say the K-10 is 12 oz and the K-11 is 10 oz. The K-11 is a little lighter than my 12 oz Ronin.

These are odd gis (in a very good way); they're cooler and lighter feeling than the typical gis. They breathe so much better. Add to that the material is softer and whiter.

It's hard to describe. Even just initially handling it doesn't do much justice.

I got a K-10 from Shureido a couple of days ago and I can agree to that assessment. It weighs around a 12 oz. Bit too heavy for my tastes, so I'm going to go with a K-11 next order.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you washed and/or worn the K-10 yet during training? As crazy as it sounds, it's not as hot feeling as other 12 oz gis. Not that I'm trying to force you to try it by any means.

I love my K-11. It's the perfect weight for me.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Have you washed and/or worn the K-10 yet during training? As crazy as it sounds, it's not as hot feeling as other 12 oz gis. Not that I'm trying to force you to try it by any means.

I love my K-11. It's the perfect weight for me.

I have not tried training with it as of this moment, mainly because I don't want to diminish its quality any further then I already have. But I do agree with you; it does breath well. In fact, it breaths just as well as my 10 oz. gi.

It's just that the weight feels a little more restrictive (the fact that the gi doesn't fit me right probably doesn't help either). I love the feeling of my 10 oz, so I think I need to find something that feels similar to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: