Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Shureido Gi Sizes? Reply with quote

Been trying to order a gi from Shureido USA. Their stock is very limited at the moment and they don't have the size I need. So I've been looking around other international dealers and noticed something; the sizing charts vary greatly from different sources.

I'm 5'7" weighing about 138 pounds, so I need the gi to shrink down to 170cm. That means I need a size 4 (175cm) according to Shureido USA's website.

However, since Shureido USA doesn't have a size 4 K-10, I looked at Shureidoweb's website (Malaysia branch). Their size 4 is at 170cm.

I'm really confused. If I order a size 4 and it comes in a 170cm size, it's going to shrink a couple centimeters too small.

Anyone have any experience with this?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you call Shuriedo USA and speak to Emmy about your size? If not, call and speak with her. She'll have you measure yourself and your current gi and recommend the proper size.

Either way, forget about what websites say; trust Emmy. She knows what she's selling inside and out. She knows how much it'll shrink and where it'll shrink. If you're a size 4 according to the charts, you probably need a size 5 due to how much it'll shrink. A size 5 will fit me out of the box, but after a few months of cold washing and line drying, it'll be too small. Emmy had me measure myself and my gi and accounted for shrinking.

If you went through the process with her, order what she said. If the conversation was a quick "Do you have a K10 in size 4?" Not right now". "Ok thanks." Then you should call again.

I wouldn't trust the overseas dealers unless you've dealt with them before. And it might take quite a while to get your gi and you could have to pay some import taxes. If Shureido USA expects to get them in in the next few weeks, it may be quicker than coming from Malaysia.

There's also Okinawa Direct, if you haven't seen their website. I haven't used them, so it's not an endorsement.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I've had a K-10 on back order for 3 months now (from Shureido USA). We had a long discussion about what gi size I should wear and came to the conclusion that a size 4 jacket and pants are what I need.

I called them a couple of days ago inquiring why on earth it's taking so long and they said they can't give a specific date as to when they'll receive more. I could be waiting another 4-5 months for it.

So that's why I've been looking at other Shureido dealers to see if they have a size 4 K-10. I really wanted to have it as soon as I earned my green belt, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I might give the Naha city store a call and see if they have one. I really need a heavier gi.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I wasn't sure if you were going by size charts or by what Shureido USA said. Stupid question: have you tried Kinjisan or discountmas.com? Kinjisan actually does discountmas's customer service, so they have the same phone number and people answering. Make sure to call and ask before ordering, because the website will take your order and money even if it's not in stock. Then you'll get an email a few days later (or you won't get any communication and call them a few days later) and they'll tell you it's out of stock. Trust me, they've done it to me several times. The only way I'll order from them again is if no one else has something, then I'll call and make sure they do before ordering. Then I'll hope it'll ship without me reminding them to ship it. Ok, rant over.

More stupid questions,

Have you considered the K-11? It's every bit as good as the K-10, just a bit lighter. I wanted a lighter version of the K-10 and it's perfect for me. It's not twill, it's canvas.

Have you thought of a different brand in the mean time? I have a Ronin heavyweight, and it's a great gi for the money. Far better than the Century, Pro Force, et al stuff out there. It's cut very similar to the K-10. Had I not owned a Shureido in the past, I wouldn't have looked into anything else after owning one. It's no Shureido, regardless of what Kinjisan will tell you (they're the US distributor), but it's a quality gi.

Just throwing out options. What are you currently wearing?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have you considered Tokaido? Every bit as good as Shureido, just cut differently. People get worked up about which is better, but I honestly think they're equally good. If someone pulled the labels off and said they were the same brand, just cut differently, I don't think anyone would doubt them. A classmate had a Tokaido when I had my K-10, and the material and construction were identical to us when we held them side by side.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I understand. I wasn't sure if you were going by size charts or by what Shureido USA said. Stupid question: have you tried Kinjisan or discountmas.com? Kinjisan actually does discountmas's customer service, so they have the same phone number and people answering. Make sure to call and ask before ordering, because the website will take your order and money even if it's not in stock. Then you'll get an email a few days later (or you won't get any communication and call them a few days later) and they'll tell you it's out of stock. Trust me, they've done it to me several times. The only way I'll order from them again is if no one else has something, then I'll call and make sure they do before ordering. Then I'll hope it'll ship without me reminding them to ship it. Ok, rant over.

More stupid questions,

Have you considered the K-11? It's every bit as good as the K-10, just a bit lighter. I wanted a lighter version of the K-10 and it's perfect for me. It's not twill, it's canvas.

Have you thought of a different brand in the mean time? I have a Ronin heavyweight, and it's a great gi for the money. Far better than the Century, Pro Force, et al stuff out there. It's cut very similar to the K-10. Had I not owned a Shureido in the past, I wouldn't have looked into anything else after owning one. It's no Shureido, regardless of what Kinjisan will tell you (they're the US distributor), but it's a quality gi.

Just throwing out options. What are you currently wearing?

I'm wearing a cruddy 6 oz. entry level gi. As my technique gets better, I find that it's failing me as a training aid. Would really like something that "talks back".

The K-11 is what I wanted to order at first, then a Yudansha came into the dojo one night with a brand new K-10. I saw the quality of it and made up my mind that I had to have one. (Shureido USA also doesn't have a size 4 K-11)

Haven't really considered other brands. I've seen other labels that my sensei's wear, but that Shureido impressed me the most.

Last edited by Struggling_Mudansha on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Also, have you considered Tokaido? Every bit as good as Shureido, just cut differently. People get worked up about which is better, but I honestly think they're equally good. If someone pulled the labels off and said they were the same brand, just cut differently, I don't think anyone would doubt them. A classmate had a Tokaido when I had my K-10, and the material and construction were identical to us when we held them side by side.

Considering how hardcore Okinawan my dojo is, I'm trying to be careful with Japanese mainland brands. Definitely don't want to secretly upset anyone, even if it wouldn't bother me much to wear one.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called up the Okinawan store. They said they were completely out of size 4 K10's. Said it would take one week to make without embroidery.

I guess I'll have to call the USA outlet and ask them what they think.

I might even consider looking into some European stores.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A the Ronin heavyweight is a very good gi for a great price. About $60, it could hold you over until a Shureido becomes available and serve as a second gi afterwards...

http://www.discountmas.com/heavweigwhit.html

Just make sure you call and check to see if your size is in stock first.

I really like mine. If I didn't own a Shureido or ever see a Tokaido, I'd think it was the best gi there is.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
A the Ronin heavyweight is a very good gi for a great price. About $60, it could hold you over until a Shureido becomes available and serve as a second gi afterwards...

http://www.discountmas.com/heavweigwhit.html

Just make sure you call and check to see if your size is in stock first.

I really like mine. If I didn't own a Shureido or ever see a Tokaido, I'd think it was the best gi there is.

After having the chance to try out a Meijin medium weight gi and a ProForce, I've changed my mind again and want a KW-11.

I also read your previous posts about the Ronin heavyweight, the poor quality of the Ronin medium weight and you acquiring a KW-11.

How different are the Ronin and the KW-11? Are they about the same weight?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: