Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question about the side kick...which way is your foot meant to face? I can only do a side kick with my toes facing upwards, but I've seen people doing it with their foot facing sideways. Is there a specific way or will either do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always heard that its supposted to be sideways!!!

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for telling me though, lol.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kicker and welcome! Babysteffee, kicker is right - your foot should be sideways. Your entire body should be in a straight line and you should be flexing from your glutes all the way down to your heel in order to make that straight line. Try to kinda lock your leg into position by turning your hip, thus turning your leg inward. I love the side kick, especially leading cause it's super fast!

Lori

-Unknown-

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez.
I can picture what you mean...and could probably do it in slow motion, but a kick...

What do you suggest to practice it? I gotta have this perfect before my next tournament...which is only next Friday.

Oh dear.

Thanks Kickbutt.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome KICKER.........

BABYsweetie............yes to the side using the blade or heel of the foot...for practice; hold on to a chair or wall, bring your knee to chest and extend the leg ........slowly at first to get the proper body mechanics then faster for muscle memory.

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-09-18 19:31 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks iamrushman.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,,,You can use your side kick with the sole/heel part of your foot as a stop kick..
Example....You are on your guard with your right leg lead.. when your oponent is going to kick you.. you can move your left leg forward as you lift your right leg's knee, and hit your oponent with a stop kick on his stomach or thight while he have his leg up, and he will fall on the floor.. That have worked for me a lot of times. lol I hope i explain myself well. lol
Thanks.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the tips I tell my students is to turn their chests somewhat to face the floor almost say 80%. When lifting leg to execute kick, tuck knee close to body aiming at back lefthand corner of room..(this closes up your hips and aligns your leg perfectly to target with toes pointing downward and foot bladed). Do not lean too far back or you will topple over...keep upper body held up as high as you can and lead arm extended parallel to leg for balance and other arm across chest for block or attack.
Practice tension side kicks and then work to snap out the kicks....the farther up you bring the knee the more snap and height on the extension on driving that heel/outside ridge of foot to target.
...keep practicing babysteffee!
Deby
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: