Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Signs of burnout? Reply with quote

A question for anyone who has ever experienced burnout or exhaustion.

What were the first signs or symptoms which indicated that something may be wrong?

Trying to fit training time with personal life, work and other daily duties and obligations is always a struggle. More often than not, there isn’t enough time to do everything or for as long as planned.

Despite having no change in workload, training and general activity, lately it has become difficult to get through it. The usual has become exhausting both physically and mentally(focus, concentration etc).

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More small injuries or aches and pains. I normally bounce right back after a good feed and sleep but when I'm over doing it recovery can take a few days to feel 100% again.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnout and Exhaustion vary greatly on who you are as a person. And the Signs and Symptoms present differently as well.

Often it is irritability that is the first sign that people start noticing the burnout. Otherwise it may just be niggling injuries or you are noticing that things just aren't going the way that you are normally accustomed.

For people, burnout it doesn't have to be because of an increase in what you are doing. It often can just be that you are becoming worn out from what you were doing at that level for a period of time.

Normally I'd say to work through it, and you'll be fine. But at the same time it is often better to reduce such a workload and allow yourself to REST. Otherwise you should change things up, and make it fun for yourself again; as many people forget to keep things interesting for themselves and they just get burnt out from boredom (even if they don't realise it).

Everyone of us has experienced burnout at some point or another; and it can resolve after 12 hours or 3 weeks. It is up to you mentally and physically to know when it is the right time to go back to normal. Like Mazzybear said; they get feel better after a good feed and sleep.
For me; i give myself 7 days to relax and recover, whilst changing my routine to have it feel like i've gone on a holiday and that I can have a fresh perspective of things.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got burnt out last year. December, 2016 was pretty rough (end of the semester, among other things) and January was pretty much the same (beginning of a new semester, among other things.) By the time February had ended, I realized I wasn't going to be attending class during that semester. I ended up taking a break from martial arts until about June. I regret losing the time training, but my body and mind couldn't take it. I needed the rest!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suffered my share of burnouts in my 53 years in Shindokan. My first indication was the loss of desire to be on the floor; made excuses to stay away from the floor, in any capacity!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Normally I'd say to work through it, and you'll be fine. But at the same time it is often better to reduce such a workload and allow yourself to REST. Otherwise you should change things up, and make it fun for yourself again; as many people forget to keep things interesting for themselves and they just get burnt out from boredom (even if they don't realise it).

I agree here. Rest can help out a lot, giving your body time to recover. I also agree with changing up the routine. This is easy if you are the instructor in charge of the classes, but a little more difficult if you are the student with no input into class activities. I find that taking some time to do some reading and research really help my motivation.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough one. I've had my fair share of mental and physical burnouts and seen plenty of students go through it.

For me it's when it starts to become a chore rather than something I look forward to. When I feel too tired either mentally or physically, it's good to stop, take some time off and refocus. Maybe even change up my routine or go do some other physical activity for a while.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Signs of burnout? Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

Despite having no change in workload, training and general activity, lately it has become difficult to get through it. The usual has become exhausting both physically and mentally(focus, concentration etc).

Possibly you could simply be burning out. If that's the case, you need to back off a bit for a while.

But let's not immediately jump to that conclusion without considering other possibilities.

I'm going to assume that you've ruled out the obvious, like a mild winter illness like a cold. And that there's nothing going on psychologically like extra worry or stress.

Have you considered diet?

The modern way of thinking (in the West at least), has us generally eating reasonably healthily if we're into training, but it is often flawed in that it doesn't change much through the year. Vitamin D is a biggy in winter. We make it in our skin when the sun shines on us. But in winter we don't make enough, so unless we get it from diet or supplements we end up getting a bit deficient. That's just one example of winter deficiencies. Remember every part of us works harder in darker, colder days than warm sunny ones, so if you've not already considered winter diet, it might be worth giving it some consideration.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficult thing is figuring out what is different. Many factors were ruled out because nothing has changed in 5 years. No increase or decrease of anything, same eating habits and sleeping patterns etc.

Training through colds, fevers and even the flu has never been a problem either. Maybe age has something to do with it, but it hardly makes sense for someone who has always been active since early teenage years.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a break is warranted? Are there other schools you could attend for a period of time to change pace?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: