Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Byzantine
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Judo, Aikijutsu, JJJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Silly techniques Reply with quote

Hi all sorry if this topics been covered already
What's the silliest or worst technique you have been taught in your martial arts career?
I think one of mine had to be when I was training in pseudo ninjutsu, when the instructor made us tie our shoes together to create a pair of makeshift nunchaku in order to brain our aggressors lol
Has anybody else been shown any crappy techniques that would likely not work in reality?

Cheers

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like your instructor was stuck in the 5th grade and reading too much into the "ninja myths."

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that I remember was a World Tang Soo Do one-step, #8, I think.
I nick-named it "Ring-around-the-rosey twist-a-roo". Opponent throws reverse punch, soo do block with front hand, grab attackers wrist with it, twist clockwise whilst pivoting yourself counterclockwise to strike with simultaneous backfist to head and side kick to knee.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrust of Freedom! Oh wait... that is the most epic of techniques!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite honest I've never had an MA teacher teach anything absurd before.

We have some one step sparring and prearranged sparring stuff that could be considered unrealistic by some if they didn't know the true intent though.

People bash those things saying stuff like a fight will never go that way. Of course it won't. They're drills to teach distance, timing, targets, possible ways to to hit targets, etc.; not a step by step what you should do when someone throws a punch manual.

I've seen some crazy stuff online though...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xw5wjwVkFc

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Thrust of Freedom! Oh wait... that is the most epic of techniques!

Yes! and always remember to restomp the groin!!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:

We have some one step sparring and prearranged sparring stuff that could be considered unrealistic by some if they didn't know the true intent though.

People bash those things saying stuff like a fight will never go that way. Of course it won't. They're drills to teach distance, timing, targets, possible ways to to hit targets, etc.; not a step by step what you should do when someone throws a punch manual.

Dude, that video is ridiculous! I like how all the feedback features are disabled!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:

OMG that Video I just want to facepalm because of the comments. But some of the techniques could do some damage, but some are indeed unrealistic.

We have some Pre-Arranged Sparring + Bunkai that feel unrealistic or wouldn't happen in a Self-Defense Situation.

Albeit our Gyakusoku Kumite is teaching us various different skills that would be benefiting us for a self-defense situation. Be it Distance + Timing, Angles, Open + Close Hand Techniques etc.

Every one of our 1st Kyu's and Black Belts are required to create our own Self-Defense Routines that are dubbed Kyogi (I've posted previously about it). So our 1st Kyu Seniors are required to come up with 25 Separate Routines from Seeiunchin Kata, and each one can be as short or as long as they want just with the one rule of at least 1 technique (or part thereof) has to be from the kata itself.

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

OMG that Video I just want to facepalm because of the comments. But some of the techniques could do some damage, but some are indeed unrealistic.

We have some Pre-Arranged Sparring + Bunkai that feel unrealistic or wouldn't happen in a Self-Defense Situation.

Albeit our Gyakusoku Kumite is teaching us various different skills that would be benefiting us for a self-defense situation. Be it Distance + Timing, Angles, Open + Close Hand Techniques etc.

Every one of our 1st Kyu's and Black Belts are required to create our own Self-Defense Routines that are dubbed Kyogi (I've posted previously about it). So our 1st Kyu Seniors are required to come up with 25 Separate Routines from Seeiunchin Kata, and each one can be as short or as long as they want just with the one rule of at least 1 technique (or part thereof) has to be from the kata itself.

Yea, the video made me (for a second) forget what the thread was about. I did not realize Ashida Kim was a GM, now. I had assumed he was a "Master" but had no idea. Then again, haven't paid much attention since I read "Secrets of the Ninja" at 12 yr old

As silly as it was, I gotta say I like the whole adding a stomp to the simultaneous block/strike, in the beginning. He mentioned ripping off the genitals. Even with super ninja strength, kinda seems like this would be next to impossible, if your opponent was wearing pants lol

As far as silly techniques, I wouldn't say silly so much as techniques that just didn't take real fight dynamics into consideration. Like using both hands to set a lock, when the opponent still has a hand in play, and not turning to distance yourself from his free hand. I believe traditional "one steps" are a good tool but rarely do I see folks pause and examine their vulnerabilities in the process. When I do, it is normally from instructors that have been in real scraps (normally L.E.) and I latch on to them like a knowledge sucking leach

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Yea, the video made me (for a second) forget what the thread was about. I did not realize Ashida Kim was a GM, now. I had assumed he was a "Master" but had no idea. Then again, haven't paid much attention since I read "Secrets of the Ninja" at 12 yr old

As silly as it was, I gotta say I like the whole adding a stomp to the simultaneous block/strike, in the beginning. He mentioned ripping off the genitals. Even with super ninja strength, kinda seems like this would be next to impossible, if your opponent was wearing pants lol

As far as silly techniques, I wouldn't say silly so much as techniques that just didn't take real fight dynamics into consideration. Like using both hands to set a lock, when the opponent still has a hand in play, and not turning to distance yourself from his free hand. I believe traditional "one steps" are a good tool but rarely do I see folks pause and examine their vulnerabilities in the process. When I do, it is normally from instructors that have been in real scraps (normally L.E.) and I latch on to them like a knowledge sucking leach

Honestly, (gulp) on an individual technique level, the Ashida Kim stuff COULD work. But the extent he brings it to is just asinine at best. Sorry, but those techniques aren't going to rip off genitals, ears, faces, and throats (did I miss one ). A shuto/knife hand to the shoulder blade or back of the arm isn't going to break it. Those stomps while the guy is on the ground (then rolled over for more) won't all land if you put any power into a single one of them.

If he demonstrated them individually or a few at a time in combination without making them sound like Mortal Kombat "fatality" moves, he'd be onto something. Where his absurdity shows is his long sequence and idiotic alleged damage that'll be done. Then he shows it at full speed, and it's just Gong Show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: