Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thai_Kick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD and Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to share a story...
2 years ago, a man was arrested at a retail store for shoplifting. The police officer placed handcuffs on the him and forced him to lie down on the ground so he could take notes from the store clerk. The police officer turn his back and the man stood up and broke the hand cuffs apart, he then began to flee and ran into a glass door, the glass broke and blood began to flow everywhere to the police officer amazement the man stood right back up and began to flee again. Eventually the officer caught him and the man was send to the hospital. The doctors had to remove pieces of glass out of his forehead and face, later it was found out that the man was high on "crystal" and "hash".

What's the point of this story you ask...?
Well what if this person attacked you, tried to rape or fight you? What would you do? Would a rake to his eyes be effective... probable not, would a good kick to the groin help... maybe, but most likely not, what about breaking a limb... it would slow him down, but may not stop him?
So how do you stop a man who is high on drugs or drunk and doesn't feel anything..? Choke him out!
Learn different variations of chokes and position from which to use them from, this may save your life one day. As stated before, you can break limbs, poke eyes, kick the groin... but if he doesn't feel anything due to drugs and/or alcohol you're in big trouble and your only way to survive this situation is choke him.

JKDfreak
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with joint lock but when you're not good at it just break the joint with strike like a good side kick to the knee and a finger jab to the eyes.This will finish your opponent very quickly or just use a throw and run away.

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rule out breaking....If you break his knees and he can't walk, whether he feels pain of not will not matter. He can try and walk toward you, but he won't be able to, it may not hurt him, but that doesn't matter in this case.

Breaks disable parts of the body....break an arm, and it can't move....break a knee, and you can't walk....knock his head off it's atlas, and you die(you don't want to do this for every situation, but if someones trying to rape you, or even kill you this woud be an option.)...break a sternum, and he can't move his upper body...take away the pain, and all this would remain the same.

Pain can be ignored or it can be quashed by outside influences, i.e. drugs, etc...However, drugs don't make your bones stronger, they don't magicaly make a shattered knee able to walk. They numb the nerves and the senses.

You're right about the fact that if he can't breathe, then whether or not he feels pain doesn't matter, I agree with that. But I wouldn't rule out breaking, now obviously if you break his finger it won't matter, as with any technique you must execute it properly, using breaks where they will disable a specific part of the body, and where they would be most effective for the situation.

Also, I must disagree that the ONLY way to survive is by choking, there is never ONLY one way..choking is effective but not in all situations...breaking is effective, but not in all situations. Each situation will govern which would be more effective. However, breaking is a very viable option for one that does not feel any pain, and should not be ruled out, just for the simple reason that breaks are not reliant upon the person feeling pain, to accomplish their purpose.

Hope this helps.

Animis Opibusque Parati

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as Thai_Kick posted there may be different circumstances such as drugs/alcohol that may make defensive action more difficult.
Although many of the "simple moves" everyone has suggested are effective .... remember what the RedLynx was asking
Quote:
"I wanted to learn just one or two upper body moves to finish off an opponent fast and get out, what would you recommend? ...nothing special. ... I've have cerebral palsy so not much flexibility at all in the lower body.

So I would think kicks and knees should be ruled out. One must be taught wrist/joint locks, perform them proficiently in order for them to be effective don't you think?

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right KickChick...I completly forgot about the purpose of this thread(the question being asked). I laugh at myself. But, I was replying to the proposed question about what do you do when you are faced with an attacker who cannot feel pain. I didn't realize that I paid no attention to the original question...thus my conclusion is that my post did no real good in helping the originator of this thread...hmmm..however, my post was useful in demonstrating that for all other cirumstances, breaking could be an option....all this said of course, in a futile attempt to lessen my feeling of stupidity.

Animis Opibusque Parati

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah but don't you worry Jade_Lotus ... we all go off on tangents and we digress from the "original" question posted. But that is not to say that all that was posted is not "good stuff". Sometimes we just gotta get back on track .... just doin' my job!

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! and doin' it well.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
Bretty
"Taekwondo- Out the window (with all other 'formal' training)"

What do you mean by this?

Take Care.

Watch me in a real fight (or read my previous post) and you will not be able to tell what martial art i do.

i keep it nice simple and effective coz it works, real self defence should need very little drilling or formal training it should come instinctively.

Thats self defence and as requested simple effective finish moves. i've done over 10 years TKD and still love it, I've done grappling, boxing and lots of other bits and pieces at the end of the day there is only so much you can do in a 5 second self defence situation.

Keep it real!

Bretty

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh, double post...

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
Don't forget biting

Would you believe I heard on the radio just this morning that a wife bit her husband to death? Now I know what your're thinking but she bit him all over his body even while he was on the phone dialing 911!!

So I guess biting is pretty effective .... but
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: