Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High or on drugs...

the year before last me and a few friend were involved in a fight outside a pizza house. It was about midnight and we were all a bit drunk from being in the pub.

We were just stood there talking, about 10 of us. when this guy appeared from nowhere and started head butting people. He head-butted 4 of my friends and 3 of his own friends as they tried to restrain him. Nutcase!! There were about 8 of us sat on him and he will still going nuts.

To be honest it scared the life out of me and made me realise the effects of adrenaline (I froze as my heart rate went from 0 to 60 in a second) and how effective my martial arts training really is.

To be honest i wouldn't want to go anywhere near someone on drugs, i wouldn't even consider choking. this guy was just grabbing people and literally picking them up and headbutting them.

Bretty

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isnt exactly answering your question. But, I know that many Hapkido schools teach the disabled, people in wheelchairs, blind, ect. We at one point in time had a young man who had only 2 fingers on one of his hands from a birth defect. Basically what I am saying is that much of the hand techniques of Hapkido can be done if you have any disability. The same goes with Hwa Rang Do and Kuk Sul Kwan. So if you can find one of these schools or any that feels they are capable of teaching you then this will 1000 times better than asking a bunch of people over the internet and trying to translate and apply what you read. Good luck, God Speed.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajukenbo has some nice wrist locks ,but if you wanted something fast
and YOU CAN LEARN IT VERY FAST it would be a duck under ,than a rear naked choke , any bjj guy will show you how to do this in a matter of 10 minutes

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiu-jitsu fighter wrote:
kajukenbo has some nice wrist locks ,but if you wanted something fast
and YOU CAN LEARN IT VERY FAST it would be a duck under ,than a rear naked choke , any bjj guy will show you how to do this in a matter of 10 minutes

Right, so assuming you learn just that what would happen if your opponent was:

a) bigger
b) stronger
c) able to get his arm up to keep the choke from getting on
d) able to counter it

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAJUKENBO HAS MORE THAN RIST LOCKS !! DO SOME RESEARCH ON THE SYSTEM THAN MAKE YOUR COMMENTS
ITS EXTREMELY EFFETIVE

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is bjj , your very uneducated about other martial arts,
bjj is designed to work against people bigger,stronger etc.. and its proven its effectiveness , time and time again

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm extremely uneducated about other martial arts.

I was refering to you teaching a person with little to no experience how to do this choke and expecting it to work for them. There was no mention of the use of wrist locks in my post and I was specifically adressing the choke you described. From all evidence I've seen, the strongest grappler wins. Give me an example that proves otherwise and how it relates to my comment.

Edit- While you're at it, why don't you adress the last two points I made and if/why they're wrong. All you looked at was my first two points on size and strength.

Joe Hardwick
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: 2 Simple Moves Reply with quote

To stay on topic I would recommend the palm strike, elbow, hammerfist, headbutt, and forearm strikes but it is more important to understand the whole picture rather than just focusing on a few techniques. These are both good techs for the upper body but you may not be able to use them based on the conditions of the altercation. Here is an example: You are attacked and respond with a defense but due to the ground being wet you slip and drop down. Now this is a bad position to be in and you better know how to respond to what has happened. It is very easy to say that if he does this I will do this but this is not a good idea for many reasons. You have no idea what the conditions will be nor the environment. You may go for a choke but if another attacker is there they may attack you. But to stay on track I would suggest the techniques above.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the reaction time, dropping to the ground and throwing someone can be a good technique. This is only good if the person is running straight at you, so it's not exactly common, but good nonetheless. Someone's running at you:

1. Grab their shoulders (you may need to block some attacks first)
2. Start to tip backwards, keeping your back round for a soft landing
3. Put your feet in their gut and kick straight up

They should fly on over. This is extremely fun to do, besides being really effective. Plus, it's a very simple, fluid motion. I used this one during my black belt test, and it has a nice element of surprise.

Remember guys, we're all just trying to offer up some techniques here, so keep the personal stabs to a minimum, eh?

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most simple technique is the one YOU are most comfortable with.

Simple.

Yours in Aiki.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: