Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Raul Perez
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo - Oyata Lineage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size matters. Skill negates it to some extent on an untrained opponent but it still matters.

I've fought Bogu Kumite with no weight classes. Full contact full power blows. My largest opponent was 260lbs and I'm sitting at 5'4" 155lbs.

It was like hitting a brick wall and the dojo wasn't big enough. I survived, didn't get knocked out, landed a few hard shots, but even blocking kicks and punches was rocking my body.

Size and strength matter. I've always weight trained and ran to help compensate for my stature and to deal with larger opponents. If you just fall into my skill will save me... one shot can change your outcome.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I'm not speaking towards any type of competitions whatsoever.

May I refer back to my post here...

Quote:
Perhaps I'm being misunderstood here; that's my fault entirely across the board...please forgive me for that.

Whenever I say, size doesn't matter, I mean that no matter the size of ones attacker, on the streets, away from the comfort of ones dojo or sport competition, you, as the MAist, and as the one being attacked, must protect yourself, right then and there, because your attacker just choose YOU!!

YOU DON'T GET TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR ATTACKER!! The attacker has already taken care of that for you. If your attacker is much bigger/stronger than you, then you better deal with it one way or another.

When your attacker, on the streets, is that behemoth standing right before you, hell bent to destroy you, and all that, this, right there...right now...size doesn't matter; that ship has already sailed.

Get it on or get gone!! Time for the MAist to dig deeply within their training, knowledge, and experience, with that behemoth standing before you. That way, once the dust finally settles, you're still standing, and not your attacker.

Btw, I've never provided a disservice to my students ever, and I take great offense to the implication, directly or indirectly!! Surely, everyone knows me here better than that, that I'd never do anything to harm my students in any shape, way, and/or form.

Man, I hope I explained what I meant about "size doesn't matter" better this time. I highly respect what Noah and JR are saying because I wholeheartedly agree with you both across the board. When an overpowering size/strength shows up, and gets in my face, and wants to break me in half, size no longer matters to me...it's already here, and there's nothing else I can do about it; I'm going to deal with it quite harshly and with cause...because size doesn't matter...anymore...to me!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: