Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably the most difficult thing to do for the average student of martial arts, too. This is why so few who take up martial arts continue to practise and train for years and even fewer keep up with it throughout their lives.

The problem for a lot of people is that they depend too much on external motivation and discipline to feel like they are doing something worthwhile. The challenge gets even harder when one reaches a milestone such as a shodan and harder still when one is at the intermediate level. It’s always too easy to stay in the comfort zone instead of trying harder to do just one more thing.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
Wait, you're supposed to train outside of class? I must have missed this memo!

Oh boy there are a whole lot of couch potatoes rethinking starting a MA right now.

This has been the hardest part for me over the course of the past few years, arranging some training time outside of class.

This is hard for many students to juggle. Its even harder for them to realize that 2 hours of class time two or three times a week is not enough.

This can be especially hard when you have other responsibilities like job, family, kids, kids sports, etc. etc. However, to become proficient in anything you do requires time and dedication. That's not to say it's easy.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All true, MastuShinsii. I had quite a bit of time invested when I was younger, so I take solace in that, and hope to hold on to what I have for as long as I can. Eventually, more time will free up, but then I'll be older...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
All true, MastuShinsii. I had quite a bit of time invested when I was younger, so I take solace in that, and hope to hold on to what I have for as long as I can. Eventually, more time will free up, but then I'll be older...

And much wiser!!

Once you get back on the horse, slowly but surely, you'll hit the ground with your feet running, almost as though you never slowed down.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

And much wiser!!

Once you get back on the horse, slowly but surely, you'll hit the ground with your feet running, almost as though you never slowed down.

Boy, I hope your right, Bob. One things for sure, though; I won't be running nearly as fast as I used to. And that wasn't fast to begin with....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: