Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Skipping ranks. Reply with quote

I heard recently of an instructor in my area who skipped dan ranks. I cannot believe this is true but many have agreed that it is. Apparrantly he was a 1st KYU in the U.S. and went to Canada where he was tested and ranked 3rd Dan over a short period of weeks and then came back to U.S. to open his own Dojo. How could this be possible? Has anyone ever heard of such practice? I am only interested because I do not believe the "rumor". I have no intention on training with this individual because I do not like his teaching style and have no intention on trying such a practice of advancement. I just was amazed that this type of recognition might take place. If it is true, what bad publicity for him, huh?

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have knows this to happen. I heard that a Shodan went to Canada (I will not mention the style but it is a well thought of style and the promoter was a very very high ranked individual in that style) and came back a Sandan. One if his students who was promoted to Shodan went to Canada a number of years later for advanced rank, there was no record of the promotion to Sandan. There was a test and the person came back with a Sandan. Is it suppose to happen? It is not for me to say. Many guys back in the day were in Japan or Okinawa got shodan rank and returned shortly thereafter with ranks far exceeding Sandan. I am not sure if one rank level at a time is an American expectation or not. The example that I am offering the promoter was oriential. As for bad publicity, frankly it does not matter. Many of the old masters were recognized as masters simply because there were people out there that actually recognized and respected them. Some did not go up the ladder of rank one step at a time. I suppose that what I am saying is that although I could not do it there are some that can and probablty should. It is not my call but if it is awarded by a top master level individual it is valid. Itosu and ( believe it was either Chibana or Funakoski) were once authorized to promote to any rank in any style and it would be honored in all of Japan based on their authority alone. Not necessarily one rank at a time either. Just my thoughts. Sorry for the length.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I would understand if this individual trained for awhile in canada under one instructor, but apparantly he was there for only 2 or 3 weeks. I guess to each his own.
I am only a nidan and am greatful for the time it took me to get to this level. I am also greatful that my instructor did not skip ranks either.

unknownstyle
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like Fusei Kise's first rank was a Yondan,and i dont think they went wrong there, its the student not the rank. if he shows the rank of Sandan than thats what he should be, however if he doesn't i dont really care i wouldnt train under him because of that

GoshinKaikuRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know what's REALLY going on in Canada. Can anyone tell us? Who even knew...

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Canada! the last place in North America where you can actually drink from a river without getting sick!

GoshinKaikuRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patusai wrote:
Oh, Canada! the last place in North America where you can actually drink from a river without getting sick!

Hmm. I see. So they're going up there, drinking the water, and coming back 3 dans ahead of when they left two weeks ago?

I just booked my flight, we'll see how it goes.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the fresh clean water??

If that is the case...going up there an 8th dan means you come back an 11th dan?

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be! Hey if you are Canadian and come into the states to train, do you drop in rank? Just kidding. No offense really to our beautiful neighboring country.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Canada. Someday I am looking to retire to Canada (BC area or western area) if they will have me. I'm not going there for rank...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: