Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Blood Eagle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicotine helps you relax,and often people tend to feel better when tehy are doing something none exhausting, just sit and relax, thats how i feel when I smoke.....

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well, I think there are less abusive and addictive ways to help yourself relax rather than lighting up a cancer stick!
We all know as martial artists the power of inner strength ... if you smoke try using it!
How are you doing after those 3 days??

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2001 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Mom can smaoke and when she doesn`t want to she can just quit!!!

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its actually a myth that cigerettes relax you ..they actually make you hypertensive..constriting your blood vessel and in creases your heart rate...there is not one benifit to smoking thats a fact.....now knpwing this i still smoke on the weekends when i go out..im trying to stop all together

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this back to the forefront again because I was curious as to everyone's thoughts regarding smoking in the military...everyone of course has the right to do what they want with their own body, but I can't help but wonder how they can get through half of their training? The Canadian Armed Forces recruitment center is in our building and alot of the recruits are often hanging around - mostly out back smoking their faces off!! Hey, no judgement here cause I used to smoke myself, but how the hell can they protect our country, or even themselves for that matter, if they can't sprint to the end of the block? Your comments please...

Lori

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first thing since you live in CANADA YOU SHOULD NOT MAKE BAD POINTS ABOUT US!! ...lol

I am guessing maybe helps them relase there stress!well i think that you have it wrong they have to run longer then a block like at least 100 blocks!!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of surpized to see this topic at first. Like how can you peform a martial art at high level and pollute your lungs at the same time?

So I read through. Some of the post's kind of amaze me. A few amuse. I can honestly say I have no idea on earth why smoking is still an accepted part of militairy life. (And I was in the army for a couple of years right after high school.)

I can see why teens still smoke even given the education about the harmfull effects.

It is easy to condemn. But, is that really helpfull? Probably not. You will do what you think is right in your situation to fit in.

But still karate and smoking? If you are trying to stop and want to talk about it come on back and tell us. I am sure you will get a reaction out of somebody.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this bit in a Health Risk Book, just taking out some of the extracts - you guys might find it intresting :

"The Ammociated nicotine used in today's lower nicotine cigarettes actually enter the bloodstream more quickly and has a stronger effect the ordinary cigarettes...."

"Smoking kills far more people each year than AIDS, heroine, cocaine, alcohol, car accidents, fire and murder combined. In the U.S alon smoking causes 2 million preventable deaths/year. These are the cancers of the lung, mouth, larynx, oesophagus, bladder, cervix and kidneys. But smoking also contributes to heart attacks, vascular disease and emphysema..."

"Apart from depleting one's stores of vitamin C, it also effects the respiration system directly, when exercising not enough oxygen can reach the musclular systems and a net result may be muscle damage."

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lori i think most of it has to do with age..we think were invincible when we are in the service..and that young...i was no angel when i was in (not that i am now either) but a big part of military culture has always been drinking and smoking...and i guess at a young age you havent done enough damage to make it really effect your breathing...the last two years in the service i was actually the command fitness cordinator....and at that time i was a regular smoker about a pack a day..and could still run circles around the base everyday..sometimes i would stay up all night drinking and smoking and somehow find the reserve energy to run the drills for the day sometimes with only two hours of sleep (no way i can see me doing that now)so not only did i need to complete the days drills but make sure i did them better than anyone else since i was the one to set the example..my master chief at that time used to run 12 miles each way to the base and back home while smoking cigars..he was crazy ..despite that there was no one on the base that could keep pace with this lunatic...still overall looking back i would never have put the first cigarette to my mouth..its all about peer pressure and believe me if your in the military you will smoke...even now i find it hard to resist when going out on the weekend...funny thing is that any other time ..if i even smell it i get nasueas..... DONT SMOKE there is nothing benifical in smoking

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So on this the day of the National Smoke Out has anyone made any progress throwing out their butts?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: