Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked for 8 years. I tried quitting many times, using various methods. Some people say, quitting cold turkey is the best way. However, statistically, only 3% of people are actually successful in quitting, using the cold turkey method. It can be easy for some to quit 3 days using the cold turkey method; however, most likely they won’t last a month. You have to quit gradually, so that your body adjusts. I have successfully quit using the patch and Zyban medication.

The patch works to control the level of nicotine in your blood. It gradually lowers the level of nicotine that your body needs, thus reducing cravings.

For 6 weeks I was on the patch. The first two to three weeks of quitting on the patch was the most difficult; however, it became easier as time went on. After 6 weeks nicotine patches decreased my nicotine intake level to a low level. Once my nicotine intake level reached a low level, I took Zyban to further help me to deal with the mental cravings. Zyban has no nicotine and makes cigarettes taste horrible, thus making smoking very unpleasant. (Note, Zyban gives insomnia for some people and reduces hormones for some people; however, there is really no easy way to quit smoking.)

Remember, you do not get addicted overnight. It takes time for your body to get addicted. Likewise, it takes time for your body to mentally and physically heal from your nicotine addiction. Be patient and remember to always consult your doctor.

Good Luck and nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the last testing at our school ... an 18 year old was going for his 2nd degree. Due to his smoking he was unable to to make it through the demonstration of techniques let alone sparring all the black belts he needed to. I thought he was going to cough up a lung right there on the dojo floor!
Well, needless to say he passed (he failed the first test months ago).... but upon handing him his certificate of 2nd degree our instructor stressed the point that he needed to quit smoking! I believe this embarrassment together with his poor performance at test I hope will make him quit.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that he does quit Kickchick. And hopefully the younger people in here will read that and think.

Zaknafein
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2001 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off topic, but lemme just tell you a story..

A few weeks ago, I was sitting there at work. I work at a gas station to make money for the University, btw. Anyways, I was sitting there reading my Maxim mag, and this one guy - he was far from a wealthy man, judging from his cloths - comes in (he was in his 50's, me tinks) and asks for a Du Maurier (spelling?) regular. The 25 packs are 6.10 dollars Canadian, and he goes into his lil pouch, and produces a whole bunch of change. He comes out with $6.08 and has completely emptied his pouch. Then, in a really shaky voice, he was like "man..I can run down to IGA a little ways from here and I can get those 2 cents man..I dont have any more money man, please." He was basically begging. Then, I was like "ahh..dont worry about it dude, its only 2 cents." He then grabbed the cig pack and said, in a clearly relieved voice "thanks man. I havent had a cig all weekend." and walked out the door.
You would have to have seen the guy to get a sense of how (pardon my wording, I did feel sorry for him) pathetic this scene was.
Anyways, I was just wondering if all smokers are like this if they dont have a cig in a while, or was it just this person?

Also, I would like to say how sick I think those cigarette companies are. I mean, they would sell smokes to five year olds, if they could (in Canada they cant, anyways). I cant believe there are people out there that dont give a damn about anyone as long as their bank accounts are full.

*Truth is highest, but Truthful living is higher still*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: