Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Some Gae Baek tul comparisons Reply with quote

I look around for forms on youtube all the time for reference, but none I've found are quite like the way we do them.

Here is a typical ITF version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BvnSCtJg8

Lots of sine wave, and moves are individualized.

Here is a different version I found today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeXPDpmrwtU&list=PLon1GNgZPzV65jiQitS1fnyBTI2rkpnEo&index=2&feature=plpp_video

A bit less sine wave, but still pretty individualized techniques.

Here is how we do it at my school (be gentle..): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqrnrhio69U&feature=plcp

We try to combo moves more, and don't really use sine wave. You'll also notice some moves are changed a bit, too.

I await opinions and comments, and notes on how you do your version of the form.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I practice ITF so is largely similar to the 1st one. However one thing to note with the Suska video, he's doing that at a seminar (along with the other 23) and it's being filmed so people can watch and learn from it. If you watch him in competition, the rhythm is better. The other thing is there's a bit of divergence depending on which of the 3 ITF's you're looking at. Compare the speed of this one from ITF-V to this one from ITF-NK. Both are taken from their respective World Championships.

As a comparison, here's how Ge Baek was originally shown and taught: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8R4W_Mne0 (skip to 2:15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXQ6bdyfE9E

Nice job on your's I see that TTA add in a couple of kicks in at the end. I'll post more when I'm not on my phone.

edit for typos

Last edited by DWx on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked quickly but here are a few differences between ours and yours...

- We do the high reverse arc hands full speed
- We only do a single nine block
- We don't kick up as high when bringing the foot in for the W blocks

IMO it doesn't matter if you are doing this or any form differently, as long as you strive to do the form the way it is taught at your school and you do it with precision and power.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Nice job on your's I see that TTA add in a couple of kicks in at the end.

Thanks, Danielle. Those aren't really kicks at the end, just more of a leg raising to build momentum for the mountain blocks, kind of like in the last link you have posted. We stomp down to really power the block home.

hammer wrote:
IMO it doesn't matter if you are doing this or any form differently, as long as you strive to do the form the way it is taught at your school and you do it with precision and power.

I agree.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:

Yep totally agree. It's all a bit arbitrary and depends a lot on what style you're doing and what you're focus is on.

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Nice job on your's I see that TTA add in a couple of kicks in at the end.

Thanks, Danielle. Those aren't really kicks at the end, just more of a leg raising to build momentum for the mountain blocks, kind of like in the last link you have posted. We stomp down to really power the block home.

Ah ok cool. We stamp too but I only raise my leg like I was going to do a front kick with the knee going about as high as chest level but not higher.

Some other differences I noticed that maybe you have a different application for:

- 1st move, x-checking block.
Your's comes up whereas I block forwards. I block so that my front arm knifehand strikes forward with my back arm supporting and assisting. But that difference might be to do with how we each apply the block.

- As with hammer, I do the arc hands at full speed and only do one nine shape block each time.

- Scooping block. Now I know you guys probably don't do sine wave, but I think that this is one of those moves where using the stance in that way really does help. When I do this block, I'm lifting a leg upwards. I circle my arm under their foot and then instead of just lifting with the arm, I push up with my legs too. Effectively this is the high position of the sine wave. See here.

- A minor difference, but you do some of the steps differently to me Brian. Like after the scooping block segment (0.20 in your video). There I step back with my right foot then step forward with my left whereas you guys just move the left foot on it's own. Also after the last roundhouse kick, I put my kicking leg down and step out with left as I punch. Doesn't really have an effect on anything but interesting to note

Looking at that 2nd link you posted, one thing I would note is that he does rather wide stances. My preference, and how I'm taught, is to keep the stance at a shoulder width maximum.

Anyway, good topic I'll see if I can video mine sometime over the weekend.

Another video for comparison, GM Park Jung Tae of GTF doing Ge Baek: http://youtu.be/BlXMyyJR8OI

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Some other differences I noticed that maybe you have a different application for:

- 1st move, x-checking block.
Your's comes up whereas I block forwards. I block so that my front arm knifehand strikes forward with my back arm supporting and assisting. But that difference might be to do with how we each apply the block.

Yes, ours is more of a scooping motion. I guess coming up under an attack to defend. Then it can be twisted and/or raised up, and the twist kick could follow up.

DWx wrote:
- As with hammer, I do the arc hands at full speed and only do one nine shape block each time.

Why we do it slow, I couldn't tell you. I'm honestly not sure why so many of the things we do are different, because it is never shared with us.

DWx wrote:
- Scooping block. Now I know you guys probably don't do sine wave, but I think that this is one of those moves where using the stance in that way really does help. When I do this block, I'm lifting a leg upwards. I circle my arm under their foot and then instead of just lifting with the arm, I push up with my legs too. Effectively this is the high position of the sine wave. See here.

I understand how sine wave is helpful on this technique, and on the circular blocks done in forms like Yoo Sin and Won Hyo.

DWx wrote:
- A minor difference, but you do some of the steps differently to me Brian. Like after the scooping block segment (0.20 in your video). There I step back with my right foot then step forward with my left whereas you guys just move the left foot on it's own. Also after the last roundhouse kick, I put my kicking leg down and step out with left as I punch. Doesn't really have an effect on anything but interesting to note

I do notice this difference a lot when I watch videos. That, and the pacing of the forms in the ITF styles. I can only assume as to why we have these changes, and I think it is because our instructor perhaps wanted the ITF forms to flow more like the WTF or Pal Gwe forms did, and he likes power and combination techniques. What I've really noticed is that the removal of some of these extra stepping motions causes our forms to rarely end where they started. But that isn't a big bother to me, really.

DWx wrote:
Anyway, good topic I'll see if I can video mine sometime over the weekend.

I'd love to see your version. I'm also going to do a thread on Se Jong, because ours is waaaay messed up...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

DWx wrote:

Why we do it slow, I couldn't tell you. I'm honestly not sure why so many of the things we do are different, because it is never shared with us.

Well tbh likewise for me. Alot of these moves where we do something slower or faster than the normal speed of the rest of the form I get told are purely for artistic content. Some of it, like slow kicks or slow stance changes, are as an exercise in control and used to train your balance and technique, but a lot of the rest of it is to look nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: