Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:
These kicks might require strong core muscles to perform but I showed them to my Sensei. He said that the draw back is that the higher you kick, the more power you lose. He said that I would be better off smashing an opponent's thigh than tapping him on the ear.

True; but also true for all kicks, even a simple roundhouse. He is not practicing these kicks for their combat effectiveness. They are to test his athletic ability. This guy can already kick well (as shown by his many other videos) so why not try to push the boundaries and train to do something most people can't?

I agree. That has always been one of the challenges I've enjoyed in my years in TKD; the physical challenge of performing the kicks.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice demonstration. Now if I could see someone over 40 years old doing the same kinds of kicks...that would be a real inspiration.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
Nice demonstration. Now if I could see someone over 40 years old doing the same kinds of kicks...that would be a real inspiration.
I will have to do my best to be the first!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it, Dancers and Gymnasts can kick high and fast, it takes great skill and dedication; but it's a young person's skill. Do non-practical kicks really belong in a martial art? Does it stop being a Martial Art?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
This is it, Dancers and Gymnasts can kick high and fast, it takes great skill and dedication; but it's a young person's skill. Do non-practical kicks really belong in a martial art? Does it stop being a Martial Art?

ITF TKD has always placed a value on special techniques or "fancy" techniques. It's the Do for us. Striving to obtain complete mastery over ones body and pushing to do what everyone else can't. It's pushing yourself beyond what you thought you could do and training to be better. For those who find kicking easy, this can mean jumping and spinning kicks.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:

ITF TKD has always placed a value on special techniques or "fancy" techniques. It's the Do for us. Striving to obtain complete mastery over ones body and pushing to do what everyone else can't. It's pushing yourself beyond what you thought you could do and training to be better. For those who find kicking easy, this can mean jumping and spinning kicks.
Is it really much different than that jumping maneuver that is done in the kata Unsu (I think)? I don't know that I could complete that jump the way they do it, and at the age of 50, I really don't think I would want to try.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 41, I am asked in my next grading to perform a spinning kick and jumping kick combination. In our Kata Seienchin there is a Jumping Tornado Kick (Tornado Kick = Spinning Crescent Kick) And a jumping front kick. One of our Senior Grades; (I don't know his age but he's not much younger than my Dad) Practices and teaches the Kata all the time. None of our instructors teach techniques that they cannot perform themselves. If I reach 60 and cannot perform the Kata; I will teach the Karate in a different style. I'm not the best kicker; I know this; but it's not in our style of teaching to ask students to perform leg techniques that are not practical kicks at all.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feel the jumping tornado kick is a practical kick, then? I know some that would not feel that way.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that a Jumping Tornado Kick is difficult to perform and control. For example; I can see that it's almost impossible to land it on a target such as the temple or jaw safely in Kumite; you might get away with taking away someone's guard with it as you might with an axe kick; but in sport kumite; in my opinion it is too dangerous. I know it's a flashy kick, the down side of it is the time it takes to perform it; but to answer your question; if for example I was attacked with a weapon and I could get on the closed side of my opponent, or facing his back; then his head would be a fine target for a Tobi Ushiro Fumikomi Geri (a Jumping Spinning Tornado Kick).

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I'm 41, I am asked in my next grading to perform a spinning kick and jumping kick combination. In our Kata Seienchin there is a Jumping Tornado Kick (Tornado Kick = Spinning Crescent Kick) And a jumping front kick. One of our Senior Grades; (I don't know his age but he's not much younger than my Dad) Practices and teaches the Kata all the time. None of our instructors teach techniques that they cannot perform themselves. If I reach 60 and cannot perform the Kata; I will teach the Karate in a different style. I'm not the best kicker; I know this; but it's not in our style of teaching to ask students to perform leg techniques that are not practical kicks at all.

Perhaps I'm missing your point... But in TKD we wouldn't ask anyone to perform a jump spinning kick if they didn't have that ability. The guy in the video is in his 20s and has the body to do this stuff so why not experiment and push himself?

Btw do you have a video of the Kata as performed in your style, (I'm trying to visualise the kicks). I found this video of Kanazawa but it doesn't contain the kicks you describe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U7KPaiZJ08
Is it something your sensei added in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: