Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jahred
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all, i was wondering exactly how much emphasis is put on point sparring in ITF taekwon-do? i have no problem with full-contact sparring just for the hell of it, but the thought of point sparring disgusts me.. *kick* point, *block, kick* point.. ugh. i've read and heard many times that ITF tkd can be largely practiced by oneself moreso than sparring, and i was hoping to get some clarification on it from any ITF tkd'ers out there.

also, for any similarly-knowledged folk, is there a feud/rivalry/something between gen. choi hong hi and his son, choi jung hwa? i've read, quote... "it's ironic that gen. choi's only son became his only enemy", but couldn't find any other information on it. thanks in advance all.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ITF, founded by General Choi, is considered as being more traditional in
style than the WTF. The ITF focuses more on poomse, wheras the WTF focuses more on sparring. Although the ITF does practice sparring, it only utilizes the semi-contact part, while WTF is more full-contact. Because the WTF puts so much emphasis on sparring, many people consider WTF as being more of a sport than an art. The poomses of ITF and WTF are also different, the ITF using forms (Tuls) developed by General Choi, and the WTF concentrating on the Palgwes and TaeKeuks.
There is a lack of respect these days due to too much emphasis on just sparring in many of the WTF schools.
Haven't heard of any gossip regarding "father & son"....

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-02 09:18 ]

jahred
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that's what i thought. however i had a friend tell me that when he took lessons in an ITF school years ago there was a lot of point-based sparring done, which i'm really not a fan of. i suppose it was just the methods of his instructor.. the ITF sounds closer to what and how i want to learn as i favor the traditional, non-'sportish' methods of training, as you said kickchick.

and i'll have to look into the matter of the 'feud' some more, although i've had _no_ success as of yet. the quote was from a dan-ranking member though, so maybe there is some truth to it? who knows.

thanks!

- jahred

[ This Message was edited by: jahred on 2002-04-02 10:07 ]

jahred
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to follow up on that though, i have to say that i'm very attracted to sparring. however, i'd like to spar without the idea of 'points', or an umpire, or any really 'grounded' restrictions. i'd just like to be able to, as was said in another thread somewhere, "tap my foot" and spar with a friend or fellow student. no rules and no intention of doing serious harm, but just sparring for fun.

now my mission is just to convince some friends to enter tkd with me.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an ITF fighter,

The point system is difficult to inforce as you have pointed out and the winner is usually the best fighter (who incidentally will score the most points)

We probably play a bit harder then most and i laugh when I hear people say semi contact no power, flicky flicky blah blah blah. It's funny how the best semi contact fighters are usually the hardest hitters.

Blah blah blah...

Bretty

Eric-TKD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I.T.F. TKD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, my school uses the point system too, but mostly during tournaments and such. Most of the sparring I do is free-sparring.

Sparring classes at my school don't usually bother with points, the instuctors just let everyone tear eachother apart.

Of course, when it comes close to tournament time, the point system is enforced fully. I don't really like it personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: