Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Vito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: grappling, striking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you go and talk to him? his friends werent around then, but im sure he hasnt cut all ties with them.

also, where i come from, wrestlingkaratewhatever, we value intelligence. an intelligent person realizes that names and verbal abuse is nothing, and that taking on five guys alone is idiotic.

tkdkarategirl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrestlingkaratechamp17 wrote:
Where I come from, if 5 guys are saying something and you don't do anything, you're looked at as if you're a well, I can not say it in this forum. You get the idea. You got to stand up for yourself, where would you be if you didn't?

Wow...I've always thought Martial Arts helped me feel more secure in who I am...I don't have to prove to anyone else what I can do because <b>I</b> know I can do it...

What happened to fighting outside of class for self defense purposes only? A verbal attack is far from a physical attack, and were I a judge seeing the case of you 'assaulting' 5 guys (which I don't care who you are, that's stupid b/c you don't know what kinds of weapons they may have, especially if the place you live is actually as rough as you make it sound), I'd find you guilty of assault...I don't believe name-calling is illegal...Besides, as a martial artist, we are to practice self control. If I went out beating up everyone who called me names or said something not nice about me, I'd probably be like, the Godmother or something... (not really, just trying to make a point, I just don't get to know people like that so they can't get to know me... )

IMHO, It takes a bigger person to just walk away.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you should have even went up and talked to him, but to answer you question if he attacked you, only after you saying something to him then he would be at fault. Unless ofcourse he could prove that your verbal speach put fear into him. Him being a male and you a female is going to make a bit of a difference and harder for him to try and prove something like that. But in the situation you explained here he would most likely be at fault, even if you said a few threatining statements, unless of course your a complete crazy and went off the wall while talking to him and he feard his life so much that he had to hall of and defend himself hahahahahahahahahha its TRUE

dear john
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Dan Zan Ryu ZenYo Bujutsu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my abilities have grown since then. i think the only reason that i aproched him in the first place was that i doubted my own abilities.

i have had no problems with them since though. i havent even seen them play basketball in the area that i was verbally assulted. they used to play there all the time.

what i did probly scared him. after all i am a little bigger than him, i approched him while he was in his car outside his home and in front of his dad. his dad was too far away to hear what i had said so he could have lied about what i said and could have claimed i was a friend he was talking to.

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha so you tried calling him out in front of his dad, brave very brave

but it sounds like you've learned so thats awsome

dear john
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Dan Zan Ryu ZenYo Bujutsu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: yo Reply with quote

i like your saying, i have nearly 20 instructors between my 2 MA's and i really have had only 2 instructors, one in Tae Kwon Do and one in jujitsu that have acted as a guide and prompted me to be more than what the art had to offer.

Beka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this is why your instructors won't test you early...

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But through the many years of martial art training, one develops martial art discipline. Small verbal threats are not taken in offense.

Noob
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung Fu (Hung Gar)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with White Warlock and 47MartialMan. When you reach a certain level in martial arts, or rather a certain point in life, you realize the power is knowing that you can.

It's good that you walked away when you did without saying anything, as you demonstrated that you have power over them. I think throughout the time you made your original post and when you replied above that you learned this.

Still, at least you didn't resort to violence off hand, as some may have. At least that shows some control.

Kieran-Lilith
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Eugue Ryu, Iaido, Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Best idea though, is to follow the 4 pt code.
Avoide
Evade
Escape
Attack
Sensei says there's a good reason attack is last. I'd have to agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: