Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Grenadier
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best defense: Don't get involved.

If all those 5 clowns are doing is hurling insults at you, pay them no heed, since they're probably just trying to troll for a response. Yes, there is the urge to deck one of them, but you were at a distinct disadvantage in terms of numbers.

Your pride may be hurt as a result, but that heals very quickly, and by the next morning, you've probably slept off the incident.

It would have been ideal to simply not even deal with the lone character the next day. While you may have frightened him, he might go running to his buddies, who, the next time, would probably be interested in doing more than just firing verbal attacks.

Maybe you could take them on in physical combat, and perhaps you could very well defeat them. However, in this day and age of litigation, the defeated bullies could easily come after you, suing you, and taking you to court. Although you would most likely win, that's a lot of time, as well as possibly money, spent doing something you don't want to do.

Even if you are successful in fending off the bullies, they could go after someone close to you instead, sensing easier prey, and hoping to goad you into doing something unwise. This person could be your spouse, your siblings, your dear friends, etc. Do you really want to drag them into this brouhaha?

In the end, it's simply better to be the better man, and walk away. This way, you won't waste the precious calories dealing with scum.

If, however, you've tried your best to ignore them, and they keep pressing forth, and start attacking, then by all means, fight! Give them your best. You can deal with the consequences later, if you're still alive, and as I've stated before, it's better to avoid 1, than to face 5, but it's also better to be judged by 12, than to be carried by 6.

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have just left it alone. Who cares if they call you names, especially if it was only once and has not happened since. Best to just let it go because the last thing you want is for this guy to try and get back at you with something other than words.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a little late, but this looked like the perfect place to tell this story:
Once a couple years back, i was walking through the local 'mall' with my wife when a group of 12 alleged gangsters started calling us names. We ignored them. When we came back by them, they did it again. My wife recognized one of them as her cousin, so we approached in a friendly manner and started talking to him. One of them also recognized me as a Martial Artists so we started talking about that. We all ended up walking outside together. Most had calmed down and were completely passive when i approached friendly-like. Two or three persisted with the name calling. Since Martial Arts had already been brought up, i told the naysayers to come to the class that night and prove me wrong. Gave them all directions and the time, none showed and none ever said anything negative toward me again.
Moral is: just be nice. these guys don't have anything against you personally, they are just trying to make themselves feel better by making you feel worse. If you have to talk to them, find a common topic, dont' be threatening.

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So John have these people kept bothering you or is it a dead issue? Let us know.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moral is: just be nice. these guys don't have anything against you personally, they are just trying to make themselves feel better by making you feel worse. If you have to talk to them, find a common topic, dont' be threatening.

Sooooooo true.

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: somebody yells comments at you Reply with quote

Red J wrote:
dear john wrote:
I kept walking because i thought it would be foolish to attack 5 people.

YAH.....or have 5 people attack you.

As far as you approaching the other guy, there is an old saying that if you look for trouble you will find it. My advice is to not look for it.

very true, I agree with the saying

ItalianMuayThai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, TKD, Western Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You. You shouldve just let it slide.

Zeke
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD ,Wing Chun, Collie, Etc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My instructor is about 27 and anyways he was walking down a street and this person went up and knocked the coffee out of his hands. he yelled at the man "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" and a cop started to run over and He yelled back "My father worked at ford you cant hurt me" The man was mental. ANyways my instructor had put the guy in a lock and took him to the ground. The cop saw this and put him in cuffs. He told the officer that he was verbally abused and that he felt threatened. and the officer was like "yeah whatever" an this one kind lady came running over to the officer and said, "That man just tried to pick a fight with 5 other people".

Long story short, the person who is usually at fault is the one who is throwing the attacks. threw the first blow or the one that is not looking like crap and the other person is. So if you do, do any martial arts on somebody you have to remember the consequences

After all it takes more courage to walk away from a fight then to start it or finish it.

Sam
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, Wu Shu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - it shouldnt have really bothered your pride / self-confidence to walk away - no sane persno would go looking for a fight with 5 people.... it would be completely acceptable to walk away.

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend did once he attacked 5 people and beat them all, unfortunate though because they didnt do anything. Hes not really a friend anymore but he used to take karate and ju-jitsu but got in the wrong crowd we were still friends but then he did drugs and drank alot and beat innocent people. I hate how people cant just go out when they feel like it without worrying about some gang of teens looking for trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: