Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do against the competitor who's technique is superior and tends to get in very close and force you to move backwards?

On Sunday I will be having my first tournament which our club is organizing. There will be our Taekwondo dojang, Karateka, and Kickboxers. We are fighting on a small mat and to win you have to make the other step off of the mat three times. The Kickboxers are going to get in close and rush forwards, we know that already. I know I can circle around, but this is allowing them to basically control the range. What advice can you give me to possibly take the dominant role against a more aggressive opponent?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start the fight with a spinning sweep this will put you on the gound thus you can leave the ring. Plan an attack from the ground and make your own rush. However this makes you open for attacks. I have found kickboxers are open to sweeps becasue they like to lift the leg to block.

I guess if I knew what rules format you were using it would help.

This is really un-sportsman idea but the first move off the line hit them hard with a kick or punch. Take the warning. This will slow them down and make them fear you. You see this idea used a lot in baseball when the pitcher will let a wild ball go on purpose to brush the batter off the plate.

One idea my Sensei used to do. Is fight in a really low stance. I dont mean traditional but sort of like a squatting down to watch something. Really you are open but its a hard angle to attack. Pluse the closer the the ground you are the more stable you are.

Maybe the best advice would be just to fight your fight and forget aobut the ring. If you win you win if not you did what you do best and lost to a better figther thus you still win.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find them getting uncomfortably close and the rules permit then a shoulder-barge is generally a good choice. Circle down and catch them in the chest with your shoulder. If that's against the rules then a straight punch or sidefist can work the same way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Knuth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please post the rules? Full contact, point, are take downs allowed?

One thing I like to do right before the fight begines is kia so loud you partner, if relativley inexperianced, will freeze and then start off with a front foot direct kick(front or side). I fight strong side forward for that reason (faster&more power).

If takedowns are allowed and I am sparring someone with limited ground work or takedown defence I go in for a simple, fast, single leg take down and work it hard.

Good luck.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok!!

Stupid competition which is really no measure of skill, this isn't damn sumo wrestling.

You unleash the big kicks, ie, kicks which move them off the mat and keep them off the mat (drop them).

Feel my wrath biatch!~~~

On a more serious note,
I think you can really afford to put in hard kicks here, go with the rear leg, if they don't go backwards/sideways, they'll get hit and most definitely move back the next time they see you winding up out of fear. If they go to the side, you can easily, rest your leg on the ground for a second to rebalance yourself and slam that side kick in hard!!

I side stepped my instructor once thinking I had avoided his kick, then I felt this powerful side kick that he followed up with go into my stomach, I was lucky I had padding on (even if only thin), otherwise I would have been on the ground. Godamn that hurt, I still remember it as if it was yesterday.

I'd suggest you make up your own plan, I went in a tourney about a month ago, I had a plan in my mind and a professional fighter told me a straetgy and I decided to go with that. Of course, it included one of my weaknesses in it didn't it ? ;p

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly simple way to handle someone who keeps rushing in on you is a simple front kick. They come in you push them off with your foot. It has to be a fast kick though or they will catch your foot.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the replies, guys.

I think I understand the rules better myself now. Its a semi-contact point spar, but if you step off of the mat three times you're disqualified. The kickboxers are going to be taking advantage of this by charing at opponents and forcing them off of the mat. We are allowed to sweep and throw yes. Problem with this, they're kickboxers, we're Taekwondo stylists, neither of us are very good with sweeps or throws, although we have learnt a few and we've been encouraged to use them - I'm not confident in my ability at sweeping in sparring, its never payed off before. No elbows or knees.

With that in mind, can any other pieces of advice be given? I'm going to copy them all down and remember them to use, so nothing will be wasted here!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeps are one thing that can be practiced on a tree or better yet a stump. The closer to the foot you come with a sweep the more effective.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you are a TKD fighter. Im not certin on what you call it but that jump flying side kick you see in the movies all the time would move anyone back if used off the line I would think.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a fight with my karate club against a local Tai Kwon Do club and we beat the krap out of them due to their insistant high kicking wjich are very easy to hold and then counter. Basicly I found in sparring that you just have to be tough about it and get in there! Be aggresive! Remember nice guys finish last.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: