Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tzu-Logic
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Inayan Eskrima and Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying justice.

I fight with elbows A LOT! To this day I still do not know of a way to throw a "friendly elbow" lol.

I also do a lot of low kicks for the sides of the knees, once again not safe for friendly sparring.

So sparring ends up being more of boxing match with some mid level kicks thrown in. It doesn't ever feel like a real fight to me.

I have no desire to harm a sparring partner. I have experienced a lot of frustration from this.

Anyone wanna start a fight club with me??

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzu-Logic wrote:

Anyone wanna start a fight club with me??

Well we can't, now. You already broke the first rule....

lit-arate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo; Aikido; Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only a sankyu in Aikido, but I have eighteen years of experience in American Kenpo, so I can offer a specifically wonky perspective.

A few other people in our Aikido dojo also have backgrounds in striking martial arts (Goju Ryu and Shotokan), and they wanted to get together and spar. They have significantly less sparring experience than I (they're both still kyu-rank in their styles), so as an experiment, I decided to use primarily Aikido. Of course, I don't really count as an Aikidoka when it comes to sparring, since I was fighting out of my Kenpo stance, and have experience as a striker that most Aikidoka do not have.

The moral of the story is: it was rather effective. If one is doing the point-sparring tag-you're-it kind of thing, Aikido doesn't work well, because while the throw is being set up, the other person can sometimes get in a tap (at least, if the nage is an intermediate/beginner Aikidoka like me). But when it came to more serious fighting, I was generally able to execute basic locks and throws without worrying about breaking my partners or getting punched in the face.

As for compliance, in fact, the techniques cause more pain if you try to hit the person throwing you, because it tightens up your body. I would hesitate to try some of the more advanced throws--not because they're "too deadly" or any kind of mumbo-jumbo like that, but because it's generally safer if uke knows how to take the fall, and does so without resistance. Trying to throw someone with both arms whilst they hold onto your arms will probably work, but you'll likely both fall down, and someone is going to get unnecessarily bruised. A striker can always pull a strike; it's hard for an Aikidoka to "pull" a throw.

On a slightly different note, when I did decide to use striking, I found that Aikido footwork often sets one up for wonderful combinations. Since Aikido generally responds by entering into a strike and then moving behind the opponent, it puts one in position to do much more than harmonize with one's partner. Not that I advocate violence.

TLDR: Yes, Aikido works when sparring, but just like you wouldn't actually break your partner's knee, there are some techniques an Aikidoka wouldn't actually follow through to completion.
people just imagine their minds are hard.
~ Shih-wu

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU, thank you for your input, lit-arate, that's very interesting! :}

Perhaps someday we'll get an aikidoka over here to spar. :}

It has been used on me a bit during regular sparring, by a godan in Kyokushin who knows a bit of aikido. Flying lessons, wheee!

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lit-arate! I'm a shodan in Shaolin Kempo and will be starting up Aikido with my wife in the new year. It will be my wife's first martial art, but I'm hoping to use this as a cross-training thing.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksoul wrote:
Thanks lit-arate! I'm a shodan in Shaolin Kempo and will be starting up Aikido with my wife in the new year. It will be my wife's first martial art, but I'm hoping to use this as a cross-training thing.
That's what I do when I get the chance to train Aikido. I see little places here and there in between the spinning and misdirection where I could toss in a kick, or a strike, or just make the whole application a bit bloodier.

It also gives me different movement options that I don't get in TKD or Combat Hapkido, which helps when I look back on those styles, too. Those styles have also helped me to see little hints to applications here and there in my TKD training, especially in the forms.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days we'll have to get together somewhere somehow for a few hours and work footwork and floor. Still, so many people want to mix in a little social spar it seems like.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social spar is always a good time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: