Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
Thanks again. On reflection there is one particular combination we use a crossover step for. A punching technique we only use in mirror stance (eg right handed versus left handed) so we can get outside our opponents line. I only teach it to advanced fighters but I guess there is a time and place for everything.
One fundamental difference in the rule set (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that we are allowed to sweep and throw. Any kick can leave you vulnerable at an elite level but a crossover step to kick probably more so than most.

Yes most Taekwondo rules don't allow for sweeps or throws (wish we could). That said, crossing the feet together still leaves you very vulnerable to side kicks and back kicks knocking you off balance. These are the two staple kicks for us and they tend to train them till they're very fast. Being caught in the foot-to-foot crossover position is very dangerous indeed.

fuad42
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
wayneshin wrote:
Thanks again. On reflection there is one particular combination we use a crossover step for. A punching technique we only use in mirror stance (eg right handed versus left handed) so we can get outside our opponents line. I only teach it to advanced fighters but I guess there is a time and place for everything.
One fundamental difference in the rule set (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that we are allowed to sweep and throw. Any kick can leave you vulnerable at an elite level but a crossover step to kick probably more so than most.

Yes most Taekwondo rules don't allow for sweeps or throws (wish we could). That said, crossing the feet together still leaves you very vulnerable to side kicks and back kicks knocking you off balance. These are the two staple kicks for us and they tend to train them till they're very fast. Being caught in the foot-to-foot crossover position is very dangerous indeed.

We don't sweep or throw, either. I would enjoy training to do that, though. Although, for as vulnerable that kicking is supposed to leave the kicker, especially high kicking, I don't really see a lot of sweeping kickers at the MMA level. I don't ever really see the kicks get caught, either, which is another big concern you hear when it comes to using high kicks in defense. No doubt, the threat is there, but I don't see it as much as one might think.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who sweep, imho, are going to get open themselves in a way that will cost them if the sweep is slow and/or disjointed. However, I believe that close range sweeps will fair far much better.

Those TRYING to catch a kick are nearly impossible because a fast moving kick is attached...to a leg. A slow clumsy kick would fair far much better...OR...a kick that hangs in the air because it's not sharp and crisp and clean in and out of the meant target.

We'll not see these often because it's not that the technique is low, but the confidence to pull them off is low.

Black Jimminy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Hon Kenpo Kobujutsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fencing coach, I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone looking for ideas on movement visit a reputable fencing salle and try some footwork classes. Fencing is almost nothing but footwork.

On topic, I've been wondering about "in the round" drills--thanks!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black * wrote:
As a fencing coach, I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone looking for ideas on movement visit a reputable fencing salle and try some footwork classes. Fencing is almost nothing but footwork.

On topic, I've been wondering about "in the round" drills--thanks!

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

alamin4g
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: very nice information. i am glad for join here. Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Great article, Danielle, excellent!!

Footwork, imho, is at the heart of sparring's do's and don'ts. Without one understanding footwork, one will just basically trip over themselves.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: very nice information. i am glad for join here. Reply with quote

alamin4g wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Great article, Danielle, excellent!!

Footwork, imho, is at the heart of sparring's do's and don'ts. Without one understanding footwork, one will just basically trip over themselves.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: