Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Articles Archive
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6153
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
Thanks again. On reflection there is one particular combination we use a crossover step for. A punching technique we only use in mirror stance (eg right handed versus left handed) so we can get outside our opponents line. I only teach it to advanced fighters but I guess there is a time and place for everything.
One fundamental difference in the rule set (and correct me if Iím wrong) is that we are allowed to sweep and throw. Any kick can leave you vulnerable at an elite level but a crossover step to kick probably more so than most.

Yes most Taekwondo rules don't allow for sweeps or throws (wish we could). That said, crossing the feet together still leaves you very vulnerable to side kicks and back kicks knocking you off balance. These are the two staple kicks for us and they tend to train them till they're very fast. Being caught in the foot-to-foot crossover position is very dangerous indeed.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

fuad42
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 04 Nov 2014
Posts: 6


PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27790
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
wayneshin wrote:
Thanks again. On reflection there is one particular combination we use a crossover step for. A punching technique we only use in mirror stance (eg right handed versus left handed) so we can get outside our opponents line. I only teach it to advanced fighters but I guess there is a time and place for everything.
One fundamental difference in the rule set (and correct me if Iím wrong) is that we are allowed to sweep and throw. Any kick can leave you vulnerable at an elite level but a crossover step to kick probably more so than most.

Yes most Taekwondo rules don't allow for sweeps or throws (wish we could). That said, crossing the feet together still leaves you very vulnerable to side kicks and back kicks knocking you off balance. These are the two staple kicks for us and they tend to train them till they're very fast. Being caught in the foot-to-foot crossover position is very dangerous indeed.


We don't sweep or throw, either. I would enjoy training to do that, though. Although, for as vulnerable that kicking is supposed to leave the kicker, especially high kicking, I don't really see a lot of sweeping kickers at the MMA level. I don't ever really see the kicks get caught, either, which is another big concern you hear when it comes to using high kicks in defense. No doubt, the threat is there, but I don't see it as much as one might think.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14444
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who sweep, imho, are going to get open themselves in a way that will cost them if the sweep is slow and/or disjointed. However, I believe that close range sweeps will fair far much better.

Those TRYING to catch a kick are nearly impossible because a fast moving kick is attached...to a leg. A slow clumsy kick would fair far much better...OR...a kick that hangs in the air because it's not sharp and crisp and clean in and out of the meant target.

We'll not see these often because it's not that the technique is low, but the confidence to pull them off is low.



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Black Jimminy
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Location: Georgia
Styles: Ryukyu Hon Kenpo Kobujutsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fencing coach, I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone looking for ideas on movement visit a reputable fencing salle and try some footwork classes. Fencing is almost nothing but footwork.

On topic, I've been wondering about "in the round" drills--thanks!
_________________
A part-time fencing coach who just started RHKK after sharing space with them for years. Spent several years in TKD and Hapkido.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14444
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black * wrote:
As a fencing coach, I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone looking for ideas on movement visit a reputable fencing salle and try some footwork classes. Fencing is almost nothing but footwork.

On topic, I've been wondering about "in the round" drills--thanks!

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

alamin4g
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 22 Apr 2015
Posts: 1


PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: very nice information. i am glad for join here. Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Great article, Danielle, excellent!!

Footwork, imho, is at the heart of sparring's do's and don'ts. Without one understanding footwork, one will just basically trip over themselves.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14444
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: very nice information. i am glad for join here. Reply with quote

alamin4g wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Great article, Danielle, excellent!!

Footwork, imho, is at the heart of sparring's do's and don'ts. Without one understanding footwork, one will just basically trip over themselves.



Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!




_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Articles Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >