Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawashi geri, hey that's my best kicking techinique. For some reason I have the best control and the best speed with that than with any other kick.

I do have a very slow side kick though. I am working on it, but progress is coming slow.

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I learnt how to escape when someone grabbed your leg during the roundhouse: you have to turn your hips so that you are in a position to just pull out by pushing your knee in the right direction.You are not pulling your knee up to your chin, its more like you have your back to them, and just slip out. After a few practices this was fast and easy, quicker than a battle of strength if you try to plant your foot hard on the ground. I hope that makes a bit of sense.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another defence. As they are kicking, go in and grab their thigh. Then grab their collar, lift up with your legs, sweep them, and score. Easy Sanbob (3 points in my thing)

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In point sparring, the feint is crucial. Try this, qiuckly lift up your leading leg as to perform a front kick, as the opponent blocks low, excute a hook kick across the face. Try to use feints at the beginning of the match when your opponent doesn't know whats going on; hasn't found his rhythm. With feints, timing is the key.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed now more than ever, that when people think of techniques, they are always just two. You can do more. The more you do, the less your opponent thinks about them. When I think of a move, I plan it five steps after my initial testers, then I do the combo which is 3 steps in itself. It gets your opponent so bewildered, it makes him go nuts.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, not meaning to be rude or anything here, but someone said that their roundhouse is getting caught. Never ever ever EVER! turn your back on someone, even if it is to get out of a grabbed leg. Drop yourself to the ground or something.

I don't have this problem with my roundhouse cos i do the thai style kick. Sure, the guy can grab it if he wants to, but he's either gonna have a broken arm/hand or broken ribs. The thai style roundhouse crashed instead of snaps. When u perform it in the air it should swing u all the way around, and not be stopped mid-air. It's designed to use the power from the hips so much so that it just crashes thru everything it hits.

I need to work on my front and side kicks though (my left side kick is beyond pathetic with someone of my experience). I just never use these kicks, but now i'm doing a graded system and have to know how to do them properly. Ah well.

Angus

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont they train us, as you say, in Muay Thai to follow a roundhouse kick right around, if it misses, turning our back to the opponant? Cos one day a kick is going to miss those ribs.
I downloaded a clip of a MT Thai dude ko'ing a guy with a spinning elbow, it was fast and he made it look effortless. I actually agree in principle, but have been taught, and have seen, techniques (like the elbow) that do turn the back to the opponant.
Drop to the ground?
I dont understand,why would you do that?.. Would the ref stop the fight so you could start again from standing ?

[ This Message was edited by: Slim on 2001-11-11 15:09 ]

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus is also talking about real life, I believe.

Am I right there Angus?

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yeah, i don't talk about point sparring. I suppose u would try and do something fancy if u were sparring in karate, but if u were in the street and ur leg got grabbed i'd drop to the ground and maybe try and kick his legs or ankles out so i could free my leg (if it hasn't already been freed by dropping). Then u fight on the ground if u have to.

If you miss with the thai roundhouse u should be able to swing around quick enough to be back in your guard. U should have your eyes on them the whole time (just change ur head around as u swing) and if u see them coming in u can use a spinning fist or elbow. If they've made it out of the way of the roundhouse then they probly won't have time to come in on u. U need to pick the right time to do spinning things where ur back is turned momentarily, but not times when someone has your leg tucked firmly and tightly between their arm and their ribs, and are ready to break your knee joint.... That's a no-go... just drop and fight your way out on the ground. But try and avoid that sticky situation as much as possible.

Angus

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a sparrin prob. i keep gettin my * kicked.

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: