Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry jiggy and karateka but in our comps its half a point for chudan atacks and jodan punches and 1 point for jodan kicks. thats all. but no disrespect meant. i value your advice greatly and all i can get will help with my comp bein two weeks away. also i think this technique is good:

go for a jodan mawashageri and at the very last possible second change to a jodan ushiro mawashageri.

thoughts and info much appreciated.

your student and friend,

stephen.

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Link Karateka, just wondering does those rules apply world wide or just in the countries who are a part of the organisation?

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It apply's to styles listed, and then certain affiliations. The National Karate Association of Canada is with the WKF. Karate BC is part of NKA. And my club is part of Karate BC. So I guess it has to do with companies. Quite unfortunate. I think that everyone will be switching in 2002 to the new rules!

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats actually pretty intresting because my dojo has some very different rules, and winterkarate said the scoring system for his club is different too..

intresting....v.intresting

KUGB_Chris1985
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 200th post!!!!!!!

My favourite sparring technique is a front leg Jodan Mawashi geri or an Ushrio mawashi geri it catches the oppenent off guard every time is your fast enough!
Be warned: Don't go into a fight with a plan of what your gonna do!!! if you do you might spend all your time trying to make it work and it may not work against all opponents! instead just have a rough idea of what your gonna do and make sure it works!!! oh yeah.... one more thing......make sure you win!

Oss!
Chris Pullan.
1st Dan Shotokan Karate. (KUGB)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx KUGB ill take your advice on board and try to vary things in my style. and dont worry winning is what i intend to do!

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I fight, I am always a reactor. I feel that I am better at reacting than actually going and making things happen. That doesn't mean I can't do that, I just prefer waiting. You should always vary your techniques, never give away what you are going to do.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then... I'm going to be making some points here relating to the tiff that happened at the start of the thread, and i'm going to TRY and be as respectfull as possible.

I'm a FIGHTER, and i think that sparring and focus pad and bag work is the best way to learn to defend yourself and fight. Now, WINTERKARATE, if you want to spar and these people aren't doing any of that then i suggest you move to another school. Don't get attached to something that is just draining your money and not giving u the fighting experience that you want.

I respect that people doing the martial arts don't always necessarily want to leanr to fight, they want to learn to do the artistic side oof things. I'm guessing you're like that TOBIAS. But mate, if you seriously think you can do all kata all the time and have an adequate knowledge of how to defend urself then i suggest that you go and fight a Thai Boxer with the amount of time spent in his art as you. When you wake up from your coma you will realise that all of your Seinchin kata and all that was a waste of time and money.

I'm not saying kata is useless, but it is useless when you do it all the time, without the sparring to help u put your fancy moves into practice.

Now this Funakoshi bloke may have thought the one-punch ends a fight, but more often than not it doesn't. And what if u come up against a big guy with a thick skull and iron jaw that u just can't KO.

I'm not meaning to attack anyone, and you probably all realise the points i'm making, and any SANE martial artist wiull realise that u need at LEAST 50/50 kata/sparring to have a good basis to defend yourself. I'm more like 95% sparring and bagwork myself.

But i will emphasise again to winterkarate, if u want to learn to fight and you are not being taught this at the place u currently go to then simply change. Don't be afraid at starting at the beginning again. I've been in the MA's for almost 13 years and have never seriously graded. A belt means nothing. I've seen some black belts on the karate scene that i would describe as VERY mediocre fighters. Great at points sparring and kata, but poor fighters.

Sorry for the rant, and if it didn't make any sense then feel free to blame it on the fact that i am very tired.

Laterz,
Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points made by Angus, and he is right on most. The reason I still support Kata is that nothing is lost by doing it. Kata will always give you the balance that is needed for you to be able to move freely and do Kumite really well. That way, when you are in the situation with the big guy who is tougher, you won't move if he hits you and you are stable. So, although I myself am a fighter, Kata is still very important to me.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: