Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to the stances used in sparring, at the school I attend now, the instructor has always passed of the back stance, or L-stance, as the sparring stance, but I have never used it as my sparring stance. I prefer a more 50/50 weight distribution with my stance, and it isn't quite as frontal as a Boxer's is, but it is more of a medium between the front on, and full side on stance.

I've tried the side on stance before, but it doesn't really suit my style, as I like to get in and punch in combination, and this is easier to do with more of a frontal stance. I also don't counter kick a whole lot, and tend to be more of a blocker.

I do know that Bill Wallace made the side on stance work for him very well, and it can be done. I think it depends alot on what tools and weapons you plan to use, and your strategy in deploying them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about the back/L stance is that, for the most part, I've primarily seen said stance used only in one venue time after time...KATA!!

In Kumite, I've rarely seen this said stance. Front and side stance seem to be the stance of choice. We don't see the cat or diagonal side or hour glass or the many other unseen stances used in Kumite.

Now, the weight distribution to the rear in the back/L stance can limit mobility. However, imho, lack of experience ISN'T the true reason of it's limited use in Kumite. The true reason is more than likely a choice of "comfortability" preference.

Nonetheless, the back/L stance is an effective stance when it's used in its proper context. Obvious to me, Kumite isn't the proper context for most practitioners.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the stance very much depends on the style and type of sparring. In the style of TKD I do you'll almost never see a proper front stance, maybe a side stance but it is nearly always an L stance. Ok its not a true L-stance as the weight isn't necessarily centred on the back leg all the time but insofar as the positions of the feet it is. If you look at any footage, everyone's in an L-stance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anvxN8zoC18

Funny you should say that it limits mobility sensei8 as probably one of the reasons we use it is because of the high mobility in both shifting/dodging and ease of throwing a kick compared to other stances.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason my instructor has pushed the back stance, in my opinion, is to allow for easier front leg kicking. He's a big believer in the front leg side kick to keep the opponent back. I'm not sure if this is the consensus of the GM in our organization, but the "fighting stance" is basically a back stance, but labeled so because the hands are up in guarding block position.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I think the stance very much depends on the style and type of sparring. In the style of TKD I do you'll almost never see a proper front stance, maybe a side stance but it is nearly always an L stance. Ok its not a true L-stance as the weight isn't necessarily centred on the back leg all the time but insofar as the positions of the feet it is. If you look at any footage, everyone's in an L-stance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anvxN8zoC18

Funny you should say that it limits mobility sensei8 as probably one of the reasons we use it is because of the high mobility in both shifting/dodging and ease of throwing a kick compared to other stances.

No, I said that IT CAN limit mobility. Lack of experience in using this particular stance is how IT CAN limit mobility. The more one uses it, the easier the mobility is.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True and I'd agree experience really comes into it. But lack of experience in any stance limits mobility and I'd actually rank the L-stance as being easier to be mobile in compared to a front stance.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
True and I'd agree experience really comes into it. But lack of experience in any stance limits mobility and I'd actually rank the L-stance as being easier to be mobile in compared to a front stance.

That's cool, but, what's easy for some, is difficult for others no matter the rank.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when you can distribute the weight more evenly to the feet, it promotes better mobility in all directions.

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article!!! THANKS!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: