Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Any good source for sparring tactics? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can read or watch more about feints and reading your opponent? (Or maybe even being in charge .. kind of leading your opponent the way you want them to react?)

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good source for sparring tactics? Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:
Does anyone know where I can read or watch more about feints and reading your opponent? (Or maybe even being in charge .. kind of leading your opponent the way you want them to react?)

That's not something you can really learn about from reading or watching stuff more just learning it over time through experience.

TKDtutor.com has loads of good sparring articles though which are great no matter what style of MA, (see the menu on the left of the homepage). Here's a few of the better ones:

http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Free-Sparring/Feints-Fakes/Feints-Fakes-01.htm
http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Free-Sparring/Control-Ring/Control-Ring-01.htm
http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Free-Sparring/Drawing/Drawing-01.htm
http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Free-Sparring/What-To-Watch/What-To-Watch-01.htm
http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Free-Sparring/Sparring-Strategies/Sparring-Strategies-01.html

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good source for sparring tactics? Reply with quote

xo-karate wrote:

I'd suggest Tao of Jeetkundo by Bruce Lee. He has a great chapter on the subject .

Concerning the original post,I can't advise very well with that restrictive of rules, however, it depends greatly on your height, weight, strength and mentality.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any good source for sparring tactics? Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
That's not something you can really learn about from reading or watching stuff more just learning it over time through experience.

Reading might help one learn faster and help you see and understand your opponent.

I have bookmarked tdktutor. It has a lot of stuff. I just have to figure how to impliment it to my training. (One approach could be that I've pick a tip or an idea and try it at dojo and try to learn from the experience.)

FortuneCookie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sparring I try to manipulate my opponent durring battle. Making fake moves, or keep hitting on one spot for a while so he'll focus on that spot mostly, then I fully hit somewhere else where it is open so I got the benefit of the unexpected . I try to exploit and create vulnerabilities. If I notice a spot my opponent has weak defence or if I notice he's open at some spots during a particular attack, I focus on that spot and hit it when I have the change. Another form of manipulation is to calculate his reaction on a certain move. Also I tend to focus on bringing my opponent out of balance by keep aiming at the front feet. If your opponent is out of balance it needs some time to recover, which you are obviously not going to give to him. While he is recovering you can come in with full power. Also I try to remain distance by doing alot of kicks (anywhere) with my front foot. With cliching I focus on hitting continueosly on the liver. It is also important to know your opponent, if he fears you you can be way more attacking because the change is less he will try to seriously hit you back. If this is not the case I start with defending. Also I am observing my the technique of the opponent and the vulnerabilities. Also attacking cost more energy, if the opponent is not in a very good shape you can try to get him tired first and then go in full attack mode.

In fights I try to distract my opponent for a second by

a) bringing him out of balance
or
b) hit softly under his chin with your foot.

During his recovery time you come full in and hit on the face full power. Then grab his head and give him three knees on it, dont forget to also shake is head up and down while doing that, if his head goes down while your knee goes up you have full momentum.

Note: I have never been in a serious enough fight to use this fighting strategy, it's only theory and preperation.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Joe Lewis videos covering alot of feint tactics - you could search on youtube.

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee M wrote:
I remember seeing Joe Lewis videos covering alot of feint tactics - you could search on youtube.

Found some videos about closing cap and punching but not very much. I think one feint with upper body?

Have to search harder:-)

shadowspawn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tactic I noticed people with similar rules use is to "fake" for the face. I'm not sure if fake is the best word, but you extend your lead hand (open hand with fingertips facing upwards so as not to look like a fingertip strike or anything) to either make them flinch or break focus due to a technique they weren't expecting and then follow up by quickly closing the distance and landing a few strikes. Doesn't work on all people though and it may be banned in certain tournaments (not sure about the rulings). The faking hand is really just there to check them and see what they'll do. If they back up or freeze and you have a fast enough reaction, you can close the distance quickly and nail them. Just be careful of people trying to suck you in and don't let your guard down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: