Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

future_black_belt
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kenpo (Green Belt)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Sparring tips/tactics that you use? Reply with quote

One thing (which is hard because I can't make full contact to the body and none to the head, also nothing to the back or below the belt, knees or something) is that when someone comes in to attcak I parry and quickly come in with a flurry of punches and kicks. Also, I could just be aggresive (this scares most of my opponents).

obiwansbane
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Open Shotokan,

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you basically have it... it all depends on your belt level.. and the amount of control you have...

if you can pull all of your strikes well you open up a much wider variety of attacks

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do (but you have to watch the time if its a timed match) is to just keep moving, only scoring the odd counter every now and again but making sure your opponent misses. Once your opponent is tired.. or just annoyed.. you keep it all coming in a long combo of attacks whilst trying to corner them. This'll only work on some people though.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of tricks out there. If I'm facing someone and we're leading same side, sometimes I'll actually snatch their leading arm and pull it out of the way and go for the head shot. A little tug will set them off balance if they're not expecting it. I also try and go light for the initial portion of the match because a lot of people will go all out from the get go and wind up wearing themselves out in short order. Lastly, don't stop at one technique, even if you think it scored. Always follow up with more. I don't know your org's sparring system, but in ours, two or more half-point techniques in a row equals a full point.

shift
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

low kick fake then high punch followed by a body kick

bob000555
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Modern Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few:
• If someone is coming straight at you (insanely stupid but it happens) a nice swift front leg side kick is good (if spacing and timing are right you could try a thrusting back kick)
• Perhaps the most common mistake I see among the lower belts is not knowing when to keep fighting and when to step back; when you’re winning the exchange stay there and keep wining if you’re losing there’s no shame in disengaging and regrouping. “When they advance we retreat when they retreat we advance”- Mao Zedong
• Circle around too often people advance straight in and retreat straight out; this is just asking for a good jamming technique in the chest. If instead you circle in and circle out you reduce your chances of being hit while at the same time allowing you to attack on an angle. This is not to say, however, that if your getting your getting killed you can’t jump straight out, nor is it to say that if the opportunity arises you can’t give a fast skipping kick.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For point sparring: I use light counters and if I attack I lead in with kicks. The range usually throws people off.

For full contact: I do whatever I can whenever it's appropriate.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things to keep in mind.

1. Do what you do well. If its kicking, punching, countering etc. Fight your fight if you can.

2. Do what they do bad. If they are slow be fast, if they like one leg over the other circle away from it.

Make them change to beat your best with their second best.. If they can beat you with their 2nd best stuff you need to train more.

Mistassailant5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Aikido

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use repetition feints. Its when you continually attack with a similar move then when you feint to do the move again, you hit them with a different move and they are usually open afterwords

grav3h3art
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason i blank out when sparring but win with style D:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: