Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the different between sparring in a tournament vs fighting on the streets? Athough in sparring there is no real danger because their is always a neutral third party, I am using the same technique and pyschologically, I am in the same mental state. I do not understand why some instructor say that sparring is not fighting. Is that just there opinion?

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the streets, there are no rules...anything goes - especially if it's a case of life or death.

Lori

-Unknown-

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KICKBUTT is right........ big difference from sparring to street........no rules in the street.... well there is one rule ...don't get killed, hurt, or maimed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of difference. When sparring, there is no-one with a broken bottle going for you, and it's one-on-one and both people are simply praciticing technique, in a real fight it would be very much more 'realistic' and dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparring has rules such as kicks and punches must be above the belt and many other rules for safety exist. However in a street fight there will be no fancy kicks or anything fancy. The goal is to end the fight as quick as possible and survive.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparring in TKD is a controlled full contact match (ususally 3 min). Protective equipment is worn. A target chest protector covers sides and front of trunk and helmut protects head. There is a range of allowable techniques which are restricted to provide for a demanding, challenging but yet safe "fight".
Sparring is a fight, true....but how yu approach it psychologically is the key. Some (as you seem to do) go for the fight....while I feel sparring should really be a performance pf skill to deliver the required techniques as well as block and evade them. I approach sparring on a more strategic level rather than going for the fight. I have had sparring partners that would come after me like gangbusters with nothing but the fight on their minds...actually trying to injure me with the most absolute poorest technique imaginable. In TKD strategy and proficiency always wins in the end.

Deby

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that a lot of the fancy kicks and low guards that u learn in the TKD system just do not work in the street (unless they are riding horses or something )...

But fighting has no rules, trust me - been there, done that, and i don't wanna do it again. Sparring is a lot more fun cos u can use strategy and have a lot fo fun. I don't like getting into fights anymore seeing as i'm getting on in age (i'm 18 - maturity). U will find in fights that there is a lot more wrestling that i TKD stylist will be comfortable with - that's why i always tell my TKD buddies to crosstrain in BJJ.

Angus

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people with limited training in taekwondo feel that it is only high fancy kicks.......however; this is a misconception, because those same kicks can be performed with even more effectiveness when applied to the low and middle levels.............

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

BlueDragon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fancy kicks is the last thing anyone should do on the street. Besides the fact that any one with half a brain would kick you in the back while your spinning you can't kick like you do in a dojo. Remember you haven't streched and our wearing cloths that might impead your movements. Plus for those of us in colder climates try seeing how fast your mucles react when it's -30C. Kick to the knee and the balls and have fun.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maybe my point was missed in all those words......so here i will just make the point i was trying to make.

high kicks can be converted to low kicks with just as much, if not more power and effectiveness.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: