Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-23 11:38, Crucio wrote:
thats dumb, no pads while sparring. Really dumb.
in my tkd class, ata, we wear groin, mouth, hand and feet guards, which are small enough that they can still break ribs, but not so small that blocking will break your wrist.
In my class, we learn our distance, control and strength and weekness. I will never get to be one of those people who all the sudden lifts something heavy and says, "i dont know my own strength"...
because i do.
We learn to spar with pads, but also can pull back and stuff. I think its harder going half force than full force, it forces you to think about combos and stuff, more than how hard you can hit the other guy. It also allows you to try more daring combinations and forms that might actually work, but u would never have the pleasure of finding out, becuase there is no way to perfect it if your sparring partner makes you bleed.
i know i was rambling, but do the best u can to make sense of it

If you don't train your mind to work its hardest then you shortchange yourself.
It's not about hitting hard, that is a part of it, but it isn't. It's not two guys going at each other like apes. The removal pads makes you move and react. Sometimes we spar in street clothing, shoes and all. Like I said earlier we do use mouthguards and groin protection. Then point of sparring to prepare for reality. Pad yourself up, reduce the speed of movement and you do shortchange your ability. You can practice your hardest kick on a bag and it has little bearing to practicing the same thing on a moving human. "Boards don't hit back."
For the beginner it is necessary to wear more pads, the novice is the most dangerous person in the class.(He has the least control and discipline over his body)

training your body to become comfortable in half-force doesn't prepare you to utilize full force. You can't expect some magic force to take over in a fight and change the conformity you've trained your body AND MIND into.

About combinations: if it doesn't work under full force then why waste the time working on it? Like I said, but know wasn't clear on, blood and pain are part of the process not central to it. Occasionally you get the injury not every time. There's nothing stopping you from trying the daring combination but your opponent. Move faster than he and you can do it. It's not about adjusting the fight to you, but you adjusting to the fight.

In a fight it IS about how hard you can hit the other guy so he doesn't came back harder and angrier. And getting it is a clear indication of what the attack did, not what it COULD have done. Get hit in the nose because you left your guard down and next time your guard will be in the same place faster. Worry about kicking an elbow because there's no padding on your foot and your kicks become more accurate and better timed.

But then again it all depends on why you study the martial arts. For me it is a tool for self defense nothing more.

As for it being dumb, which is dumber preparing yourself better for the reality of a situation or shortchanging your mind and body for a potential situation?

I have sparred guys who do the same thing, train with pads, their movements are not as disciplined or powerful. There is a BIG difference between powering out on a heavy bag and trying to do the same on a moving human. There is speed and power to be developed in sparring without pads. A sharpness to be gained not to be found in a padded environment.

Sure safety is a big factor, but as the old adage goes NO PAIN. NO GAIN.

Think about it. When you spar you have no real threat of feeling any serious pain. Sure freak accidents can happen, but in all honesty there is no real threat of injury, pain, or loss. How can this sharpen your mind to fight?

Now, this totally depends on why you study the martial arts. If it's not for self defense purposes then it really wouldn't matter and sparring without pads would be really dumb. But if you want to win a fight for life and limb then you had better sharpen your mind and body to remove any level of discrepancy in your ability.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on who is at class that night. If a lot of low ranks or young kids are in class that night I cut back on it. Likewise if they are goine we do much more.

I have been in and do run classes where we baiscially spar for 2 hrs. Very good cardio.... LOL. We usually do this is a system where 2 go and one rests but we do do 2 on 1 sparring some as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: