Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Spider Guard Sweep with Leg Entanglement Reply with quote

For all my talk about self defense jiu jitsu, some of my favorite stuff to play is more artsy or competition based open guard. Spider guard is a favorite of mine, and this variation has become a go to for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDVJzSOx1y8

How many people are playing open guard routinely? Are you aways ready to go back to closed guard? How many people are using leg entrapments to supplement more traditional sweeps?

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play open guard almost exclusively. Im not a big fan of spider guard because it means I'm on my back (the flat of my back anyways). I prefer the mobility of a seated position. Its sometimes, but not always a butterfly-esque position.

Spider guard is an odd conundrum. It works best when people are trying to smash through it and get to you. In a weird irony, people start to run away when you get good at it though.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't care for spider guard. I feel like every opening that I have to transition to it can be better used for something else.

It's an efficiency thing. If my partner is posturing up enough for spider guard, I should be breaking his posture. If he is both standing up, to prevent the posture break, and grabbing at my legs, I should be working back to my feet for a take-down or, failing that, diving under him to prevent strikes and set up various deep half games. Spider guard is great if you can get there, but I just am not looking to get there most of the time.

Also what TJ said, It puts me flat on my back. If I am going to be flat on my back I want closed guard or rubber guard or some variation on that theme. Leaving my partner more mobility than me seems like a bad plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: