Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Goju Ryu Karate school i go to at the moment they are not required to learn the spinning and flying kicks that are taught in other arts such as hapkido and wushu.
I think this is perhaps a little unfair as, when i first sparred against the balck belts, they had no idea what was going on when i was pulling all these fast and accurate kicks on them. One guy thought i'd even made up the jump-spinning crescent!!!!! Gees.... I'm a BIG fan of the step-jumping back kick and the spinning heel but i rarely use them...

What are ur thoughts on these big kicks?? I think that to learn to defend against them it is essential that one learn to do them.

Opinions please,
Angus.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think doing the spinning kicks is very fun, I don't place any emphasis on them. It's easy to defend against it, just teep (footjab, thrust kick, stop kick). Or what I really like to do is thrust a knee into their butt when they are turned. Even easier is just the Thai shield block or the cover. So.. No i don't think it's necessary to learn the spinning kicks to know how to defend against them.

BTW, I do like to play with the spinning kicks cuz it's fun.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah man, absoutely.... i love spinnin around in the air and swingin my legs around..

Thanx ken.
Angus.

Blood Eagle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with you angus, spinning kicks are the coolest kicks. It may not be as affective as some of the other kicks, but it sure looks better! I also train alot on them, but still if you fight with someone who does some sort of martial art, then you wont have a good chance of hitting them.

egarlock
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself this: Why do yout think the spinning, or jump spinning kicks (or any technique for that matter) is weak, slow, ineffective, whatever?

It's in the style for a reason. Find out why. Sure, most fall into the category of "advanced" techniques, so assume it'll take a long time to get it right, maybe even many years. Like everything there is a time and a place for its use, and for everything there is a counter...including the counter just mentioned.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinning kicks are good to learn. They are only good for a) Competition(with control) and b) if your real life opponant is on the ground. If the guy is standing up and you try the spinning kick, there is a good change you will miss and fall. If he has just been stopped by one of your punches, then you can drop him with the kick. It is your call

Peace Man

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Blood Eagle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or when he has his back turned or something....... Your absolutely right Egarlock

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert the spinning kicks to turning kicks and you got a winner.

now terninology...i consider a turning kick when you bring the kicking foot close to the standing leg's knee. (hard to discribe in words)

practicing your spinning kicks helps your balance and equilibrium.

humble respects with a bow

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone.

I have only ever landed the one spinning kick properly on a person in a fight... A spinning heel to the cheek and he dropped like a sack of spuds!

Angus.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree that this type of thing would be wise. Sure, if the person you're fighting is bad enough, you can get away with it. There's too many other techniques that are better to execute though. You don't have to eactly leave yourself open just because you do one of these techniques, but there's better alternatives. If you're looking t oshow off or maybe intimidate someone, it's usually effective as well. Other than that, it's best left to use when you're fighting someone talented and get a little more tricky about it and pull some things to throw them off. Still though, there's usually no call for that and you'd be better off with other things. Perhaps this is my opinion, but there's rarely any need for anything that would involve anything such as that. But, I guess whatever works for you is what works for you. However, there's a reason why many of the more experienced fighters don't often use (if ever) any high kicks or spinning kicks in fighting.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: