Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: JKD, TSD, MMA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Spiritually out of shape? Reply with quote

Everybody knows if you reduce or stop training, exercise of any kind, you'll get physically out of shape. Sluggish, inflexible, get winded, etc.

Then there's the mental/spiritual side, that (supposedly) differentiates martial arts. The self discipline, etc., that controls anger, reactivity, gives us the Zen attitude to handle stress or conflict. You know, the model of the calm old master.

Can you get out of shape this way, too? I think so. I still try to stay fit with solo training and other kinds of exercise, but I've neglected the spiritual, at the same time my life has become more stressful. I'm embarrassed to admit, I came to this realization after getting myself into a "road rage" situation precipitated by the irresponsible behavior of a couple of motorcyclists. I should have just "let it go".

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I used to practice kung fu, I used to also practice meditation to boost awareness. When I stopped training, I gradually lost the ability to empty my mind so yes, I think you can get spiritually or mentally unfit.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to take a little time out from training lately and I've felt very out of sorts. Easily irritable and just feeling a bit glum.
Regular training definitely keeps me on an even keel.

Being able to freely show and feel aggression, albeit very controlled, is a good thing. Aggression is a natural facet of many people's nature, to deny it totally can be quite unhealthy.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, and solid posts!

Meditation is something I haven't tried very hard at, but should. This thread might help inspire some more action!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!!

Out of sight, out of mind...out of mind, out of sight. Rust can come mentally as well; the physicality doesn't own that difficulty whatsoever.

Until the AHA moment brings back to ones mind, like, one saying to oneself..."How do I do that again?"..."How does that go?"..."Why can't I remember that?", and so on and so forth.

But, like riding a bicycle or a horse, once you get back on it, the AHA moments resurface, and in time, the forgotten muscle memory returns.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it can, but I think the spiritual side is the side you can take with you more easily and train outside of the school. Use moments in everyday life to help hone those skills. If those skills are only used in the school, then it isn't being done right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: