Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya your right. TKD has scared away people that would have tried TKD out too.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know being a practitioner of both sport (olympic) style taekwondo and other forms of taekwondo (tang soo do considered the combat aspect) and being Korean I have to agree with Angus. There is a reason "Sport" taekwondo is called "sport". That is the game of the martial art. As for the reason for the use of no hands well at one time there use to be punching to the face in Olympic TKD but that was changed because they had to be politically correct. Also It is supposed to show the timin people have with their kicks and side stepping which many from what I saw did not do. "sport" taekwondo in it-self will not be practical but most korean masters teach other martial arts like hapkido to add more debth. So I agree with Angus

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exemplifies or resonates true "sport" TKD, whether ITF or WTF styles was the tournament held in Korea depicted in the movie "Best of the Best" with Eric Roberts (just my opinion) as well as some real bouts between Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace... I also crossdress..I mean crosstrain in "shootfighting" to enhance my regular discipine

Peace out

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

[ This Message was edited by: jakmak52 on 2002-06-21 20:45 ]

soulgamer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus wrote:
I respect ALL martial arts, everything has its place, but i must say that sport Tae Kwon Do as seen in the 2000 Australian Olympic games is the worst thing that could have ever happened to TKD...

I have found many people dissing it because they did not use tehir hands and it was based on points... Why can't they just introduce ring kickboxing into the olympics?? Then good TKD stylists like the former champion Jerry Trimble could become Olympic medalists.

It is disappointing to see that this sport tkd has damaged real tkd's reputation.
Angus.

Well Angus, ask yourself this. You think those people who watched the olympics actually know what the true spirit of TKD is? So i dont really think that was a real damage to TKD's reputation. And yes it did look embarrasing, but dont let that fool you. It is not how others make the art look, but it is how you yourself use it.

- TKD Master Lujan

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect all arts and believe anything can be adapted to self defence. The persons mentallity is what matters most.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problems with "olympic TKD" are the following:
The element of winning is overemphasized. IT ceases to be a way of life. Egos become more important than techniques.
It becomes too easy to train only in techniqes that quicly score, and avoid the "whole art."
Olympic TKD is NOT a "lifelong" art. It is not something one can practice until one keels over dead at 90.

Look at what happened to Judo on inclusion into the olympics in teh '60s. It is rarely taught as a martial art anymore. Now its essentially "jacket wresting."

The WKF's efforts to include Karate into the Olympics (which fortunately seem to be failing!) have me as frustrated!

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont bring the wkf up ;-p
When karate is an olympic sport kata will be an event. this keeps karate on a little bit more developed plane then just fighting.
When was the last time you saw a wkf tournament? the current international competitors are the best thing to happen to karate since nakayamas original group of egotistical students in the 50s and 60s.
They elevate karate.
Olympics also draw a clear cut line between sport, and combat art.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree that the prospect of olymic inclusion elevates Karate. As far as Kata competition goes, the Katas are beginning to be practiced in a stiff, robotic way. Go to http://www.usankf.org where there are videos of Bassai Dai (Shi-to-ryu version) and Kanku-Dai (Shotokan version). These are mostly within the parameters for good Kata performance for these styles, but picture a Goju or a Wado kata being done this way! Ick!

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks bob, ive got a nationals in 2 weeks and was looking for a video of the new mandatory kankudai =p

BlackI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I said this in another topic. Why can't the have the top MA's in the country compete? Of course you need to establish some kind of rules, but once this is established then all MA's can compete. Not just TKD or Judo.

Because believe it or not the MA's have more incommon then all of their so-called differences.

What do you think?????
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: